Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lot of success catching cats and carp through the ice every winter. I usually fish areas with lots of brush along with some depth. My three usual places are Big Thompson Ponds, Barbour Ponds, and the inlet at Boyd Lake. Last year Boyd was not safe in the inlet, and duck hunters (I'm assuming that was who was shooting!) at Big Thompson ran me off. Does anyone know of good lakes with good populations of cats and carp that has underwater structure? I usually only fish the three areas listed above but am willing to explore. Most other lakes I fish during the summer doesn't offer too much underwater structure and brush.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i guess you need a big auger to get them big carp thru a hole

·
Registered
359 Posts
What kind of bait do you use I thought these fish stopped feeding in the winter? what kind of rig do you use how deep etc...?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ive heard of cats thru the ice so i wouldnt be suprized for a crap to come thru the ice i dont think they feed as well as when the water is warm but i bet they will eat if its layed out infront of them ive caught cats right at ice out this past spring

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
roadkill said:
ive heard of cats thru the ice so i wouldnt be suprized for a crap to come thru the ice i dont think they feed as well as when the water is warm but i bet they will eat if its layed out infront of them ive caught cats right at ice out this past spring

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do craps come through the ice often? If so, do they float? Sorry, I joke a little! I usually use minnows at first ice on the cats. Mid winter I may switch back and forth between minnows and fresh cut bait, but in very small pieces (less than one inch by one inch square.) Approaching spring I use soured cut bait. After ice off I use strictly soured cut bait because the cats feed up on winterkill. Worms are good all winter, but you gotta know where the cats are. They don't like to move. I use a locator and check deep brushy areas. If you see a big fish, it is either a carp or a cat. I use an aqua view so I can actually see the fish that are down there. On bait for carp, I chum holes heavy with soybeans, amino acids and corn. I keep these holes chummed and fish them often. The carp stay where the food is. Then all you have to do is bait a hook with corn soaked in amino acids and vanilla for three days and your good to go.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
id look into lonetree you might see some duck hunters there from time to time but pretty much you should have the lake to yourself.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
sorry bout my "CRAPy" post apart from horible speling i got a touch of dyslexia

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking about Lonetree. I could fish the outlet since it is deeper and if I don't catch carp or cats I could go after the crappie and bluegill.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it also might surprise you with a walleye. the outlet is probally a good plan. its way early but let me know when you go ill join you.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That would be cool! My wife may tag along. She has never been ice fishing. I'll do some pre-scouting when it ices over to see if it is good.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sounds good to me its a fairly shallow lake if the winter is half way decent should be iced over by mid december. heres me hoping for a cold winter at least till i get my first puplic service bill

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm really hoping to score some nice fish. I am always able to catch carp and cats but would love to get into some nice walleye, crappie, and perch.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
me and my brothers have caught cats threw the ice a couple times 2 years ago we were ice fishing lon hagler and caught some cats on orange powerbait and also 2 years ago we ice fished mccall in longmont and caught cats threw the ice on powerbait i really want to try catching cats threw the ice at jackson this year

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have never fished Jackson during the wimter but would like to. I want to make sure the ice is safe first. Once that's good I'll get after those cats for sure!

·
Banned
26 Posts
I've caught catfish through the ice while using deadbaits on tip ups for pike. Even caught a few on jigs. Rio blanco, Crawford, and Harvey Gap have all produced a few cats for me. In fact at Rio Blanco I usually ice 3 or 4 cats per trip.

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
I caught a 5 lb channel icin at Glendo on a minnow,great fight!Also caught a carp in the outlet below prewitt one year,he hammered a small gold kasty.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
catfish are generally found schooled tightly together in the deepest basin in the lake or reservoir. Drop down a deadbait on a tipup and they will hit. I've also done well with jigging rapalas for them.
Rio blanco lake is GREAT for cats through the ice and I've caught them at harvey and crawford too.
Please release most cats you get during the ice season. With the fish so concentrated you could really damage a population.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Caught them on Tip Ups and occasionally jigs while pike fishing at Rio Blanco, Harvey Gap, Crawford, and even Sanchez, though they are uncommon at Sanchez.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts