Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went catfishing this morning at 3:00 am and caught some nice eating sized cats. Caught them on live bluegill and blood strips. Caught 12 of them ranging from 4-6 pounds. A good day of fishing. Just curious, what rods and reels do other catfisherman on this site use? My rods and reels are ready to be retired?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i just use my normal stuff, spinning reel with 10 lbs and my baitcaster with 12 lbs

i saw an ugly stick meant for catfishing tats white and has glowing eylets or something., it looked sweet

·
Registered
152 Posts
Do you mind telling me where you where fishing, I tried by the outlet/inlet a while back and couldn't catch anything. I'd love to get some dinner one of these nights, also what size of hooks are you using on the gills, I think my last setup with size 1 hooks may have been too small.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have had great luck with the Cabellas Kat King!!! It comes in a 9 & 7 foot version with 20 lbs test. Basically a surf casting rod with a cool picture of a catfish on it. It hauls in the big ones!!! They don't stand a chance.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I use 7 ft Falcon Coastal rods (medium Gulf Casters) with Shimano Sahara reels loaded with 14 lb test. i tape small (1.5 inch) Cyalume chemlites to the tips to help see strikes a bit better. as far as hooks i tend to stick with 2/0 circles under a slip sinker with a 20 lb leader and swivel...these work well with bait, unless i fish with crawlers then i tend to use a regular Gamagatsu bait hook.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my set up is an ugly stick with a picture of a catfish on it ....the closed faced reel that came with it(until i can put a baitcaster with a clicker on it ) and 20lb berkley extra tough

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I generally use 5/0 circle hooks and hook the bluegill under the spine behind the dorsal fin. Make sure you leave that hook exposed! An exposed hook will hook better and deeper. If you bury it in the bait then when you set the hook you'll just hook back into the bait.

I fished the south beach of Lonetree. The water is low and access in easy. Come about fifty feet from the two trees on the beach and cast north west. There is a hole out there that attracts the cats after dark. This same spot has produced two 15 pound forks for me.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use two original GloStiks made by Berkley and top them off with AbuGarcia 6500xr reels. These reels were custom made for me by adding larger handles, a clicker, and an alarm that sounds when line is taken. The GloStiks are glow in the dark rods that are lighted. The led light helps to keep the rods lit up. You can also leave them outside for several hours and they will glow at night. I am thinking about retiring them since they are over ten years old and have been used and abused by catfish. The ideas that several of you have presented to me sound awesome! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Do you have to walk around to that side, or is there a road that goes back there? I've only fished from a boat there.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fishinguitars,
Blood strips are just as they sound: strips of blood. To make them you buy the same screen you find in screen doors. Build a square frame out of 2x4's cut 2 feet long and lay the screen across the top of the frame. Staple the screen to the frame. Find some buckets and lay the frame across it. Dig a hole in the ground about a foot deep for all the blood fall off. The best place to do this is in a garden because the fall off makes an excellent fertilizer. Then go out to local kill plants or slaughter houses and ask the foreman if you can have all the blood you want. They usually let you. If not, then you can order some from Bob's Bait, Star Rt. 2, Box 14, Nixon, Texas 78140. They come in one gallon vats. Take the blood and pour it slowly on the screen. Let it set until it quits dripping through. Once it is done dripping through cut it carefully in the screen into 3/4 inch strips. Take the strips off the screen and peel them like a banana into thinner strips and place them in a contain to freeze or refrigerate. Top off the container with some left over blood. The strips absorb some of this blood and the rest you can use for chum. To bait a hook with blood strips tie a treble hook on your line leaving about twelve inches of tag line. Wrap a strip of blood around the treble hook. Then wrap the tag line around the blood bait. Voila! A yummy catfish morsal!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the rest you can use for chum.
careful dont get caught chuming that is illegal

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I know! Sometimes you got to be a little bit sneaky! Heh! Heh!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
no need to risk chumming just set out a baited crawfish trap!

now that's sneeky!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now that's animal cruelty! Poor cats get to see the buffet but can't have any! Heh! Heh!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts