Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...so I loaded up the kayak early this morning and hit some public waters.

1.5" orvis chartreuse & white clouser with bead chain eyes was the ticket. Biggest bass was 19", followed with an 18.5". Picked up a few more decent ones and many dinks. Caught a bunch of small bluegill, some redear, with a few decent ones. Also picked up my annual channel cat on the fly. Probably around 15" or so but fought harder than the bigger bass. All caught on the 6wt around weed lines. Weeds were coming up but not nearly as bad as what I thought they would be.

Fished until around 2pm then made my way to a nearby spot in search of Orange Spotted Sunfish. I read an old survey report that they were in a small prairie stream. So I rigged up the 3wt to give it a try. I also took my Ruger Single Nine along with some 22 mag shot shells incase I came across one of Slayer's noisier nemesis. No luck on the rattlers though. I tied on some 6x tippet and the smallest weighted nymph I had in my flybox. Caught a few small creek chubs then decided to move up to a prince nymph. Drifted it under some over hanging weeds and much to my surprise, a huge fish nailed it. I wasn't prepared with the 6x tippet and did my best to fight it but it stayed in the overhanging weeds. Caught a glimpse of it but couldn't tell what it was. Fought it for a while and it finally broke off. Moved upstream and drifted a bead head damsel fly nymph in similar areas and picked up two small browns and missed a couple more, so I think the big fish was a much larger brown. Very surprised to catch browns there. I'll be back for the big guy.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I'm loling at the private don't count business. Doesn't have to count. It's for fun. 99.9 percent of the time I fish public water but once a year when I fish a spot that isn't accessible to everyone, somehow it doesn't "count?"

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm loling at the private don't count business. Doesn't have to count. It's for fun. 99.9 percent of the time I fish public water but once a year when I fish a spot that isn't accessible to everyone, somehow it doesn't "count?"
It's just a friendly joke from a post earlier this week. You're talking to the guy who get's excited over catching a 4" creek chub. Anytime on the water counts, any fish, anywhere, any method. Lighten up or go post on another thread.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
It's just a friendly joke from a post earlier this week. You're talking to the guy who get's excited over catching a 4" creek chub. Anytime on the water counts, any fish, anywhere, any method. Lighten up or go post on another thread.
okay? Well that's like the sixth post with that comment since myself and another person posted reports from private water like a week ago and up until that point I hadn't ever heard anything of the sort. So it seemed there may have been something to it. But as always, I could be wrong. That's why I asked about it. It's not a big deal. Nice fish by the way.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Ponds dont count...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Tell me about your Kayak if you would please. I'm thinking about getting a sit on top foot powered rig.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tell me about your Kayak if you would please. I'm thinking about getting a sit on top foot powered rig.
12' Necky Santa Cruz. I bought it when I lived in Rhode Island as a small ocean kayak. It's very stable, easy to carry, & can go anywhere. The only drawback is the wind. Any amount of wind will push it, so you're always fighting it. I use a single anchor back from center, so it will spin on that point and position itself based on wind direction. Double front & rear anchors would work better. Foot powered is the way to go to be able to maintain position hands free to fish.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Look up Native Watercraft...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also have a Native canoe-ak for the wife & I. I think it's around 14'. We both love it. Not too big, very easy to handle and plenty of room. Seats are great also.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Nice fish!! Place looks very familiar.... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Private doesnt count..... unless it's me fishing it ;)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice fish!! Place looks very familiar.... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Private doesnt count..... unless it's me fishing it ;)
I heard is was better earlier in the year and has slowed down some. It was packed by the afternoon with people asking each other if anyone's caught any legal size keeper bass :hungry::eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts