Registered
2,402 Posts
Sounds like a good idea..

D.J.

·
Registered
844 Posts
theo9805 said:
sounds good to me too. although, will this make the department more busy and less responsive when we as citizens and fishermen raise concerns? will this create more bureaucracy and make it harder for us to see good change and improvement?
How could it be worse than it is now? God if it is we are in deep s__+

·
Registered
883 Posts
wow each agency has a pretty spacific resource to watch out for. I don't see how this is going to help when the mission of each is so different. One agency can bairly do it's job now let a lone change it's function and mission. If you have never worked for the government you may not understand how bad this could be.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
States parks system is loosing money and potentially closing some parks. So lets bail them out by combining it with the DOW who gets lots of money for stocking and stuff because they can afford to lose some money on other programs to make the parks system better.

Lets hope it works, other states have a Game & Parks organization that does both so it can be done... hopefully it doesnt destroy both here.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Not a good idea in my opinion.
The 2 agencies have different goals. The DOW tends to leave their land natural. No visitor centers, no signs saying what type of wildlife are in the area, no maintained trails, no showers, etc.. Just the natural setting.

While the parks cater to the weekender that wants paved roads, flushing toilets and hot showers.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I didn't vote for him but so far he has shown more balls than the previous 3 on fiscal responsibility.
I'll wait to see how he does on other issues before I cast my next vote.

·
Registered
386 Posts
We'll have to see how it works out but the fewer beauracrats involved in anything, normally, results in fewer problems and lower costs.

Take a look at the Depatment of Energy for $30 BILLION a year,
and the Depatment of Education $77 BILLION a year, they've done wonders in both areas since 1978/1980.

We're from the government and we're here to help you!!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Fowl_Hooked said:
Not a good idea in my opinion.
The 2 agencies have different goals. The DOW tends to leave their land natural. No visitor centers, no signs saying what type of wildlife are in the area, no maintained trails, no showers, etc.. Just the natural setting.

While the parks cater to the weekender that wants paved roads, flushing toilets and hot showers.
X2 They will funnel much more of our $ from the DOW for fish and put towards "over developed" parks-see the park below Ridgeway Res as an example. Carts to tote your camping gear! really? If the state parks can't make it on what they already charge it's because of mis-management. I for one think this is a TERRIBLE move.

·
Registered
844 Posts
It's a terrible move if they let the old managers keep pissing our money down the drain. Just combining isn't enough, it will take real reform and attention to waste and what probably could be considered fraud or theft in the way some dollars are used.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
ePiC said:
Lets hope it works, other states have a Game & Parks organization that does both so it can be done... hopefully it doesnt destroy both here.
I can speak from experience... TPW (Texas Parks & Wildlife) is about as pro-sportsmen as any state agency I have ever encountered.

The model is sound. It is not a bad idea to shrink bureaucracy, and it is likewise not bad (from an angler's perspective) to incentivize stringent management practices from the ground UP, rather than the top DOWN...

Let's keep our fingers crossed on this one.

Woop woop. :D

SS

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Is this considered a same sex marriage?

If it's put forth as such, there will be some staunch and vocal advocates.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
sswan said:
Is this considered a same sex marriage?

If it's put forth as such, there will be some staunch and vocal advocates.
:D :D :D :D

Damn Double S, what happened to you man...? You used to be so insightful, and well versed with your statements... Now, just bitter... But still funny! :D :D

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Damn Double S, what happened to you man...? You used to be so insightful, and well versed with your statements... Now, just bitter... But still funny! :D :D
This, from an up and coming NASCAR pioneer...

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is simply a way to take sportsman's dollars and shift them to state parks. Because they knew peolpe would not be happy if they cut or closed parks. Hunting and fishing will suffer from this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
History will repeat itself. The DOW was combined with parks from 1963 to 1972 and it didn't work then and will not work today. Gov. Hickenlooper doesn't realize the differences in the mission of the DOW and the Div. of Parks. This is merely a money grab. The DOW is a self sustaining entity, paid for by the hunters and fishermen of this wonderful state. Div. of Parks is always been under funded and never self sustaining. By combining the two entities, it will only take money away from the DOW, one of the only government entities that CAN balance its budget. I urge the sportsmen of this state to rally and oppose this merger . . . that is unless you want to see the money that manages the nation’s largest elk herd, the fish in Colorado’s streams and river, the native species that call Colorado their home, go to dog parks, picnic areas, and campsites with Wi-Fi internet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you people are complaining about how the DOW manages you fisheries now, you will be really bellyaching when that money is diverted to Parks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
mobilerat said:
This is simply a way to take sportsman's dollars and shift them to state parks. Because they knew peolpe would not be happy if they cut or closed parks. Hunting and fishing will suffer from this.
I'm thinking the same thing mobilerat.
Will this mean the money from our fishing licenses will now be paying for bathrooms, bike paths and swim-beaches instead of fish management? Hope I'm wrong but I think we'll end up with the worst of both worlds.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts