Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
History will repeat itself. The DOW was combined with parks from 1963 to 1972 and it didn't work then and will not work today. Gov. Hickenlooper doesn't realize the differences in the mission of the DOW and the Div. of Parks. This is merely a money grab. The DOW is a self sustaining entity, paid for by the hunters and fishermen of this wonderful state. Div. of Parks is always been under funded and never self sustaining. By combining the two entities, it will only take money away from the DOW, one of the only government entities that CAN balance its budget. I urge the sportsmen of this state to rally and oppose this merger . . . that is unless you want to see the money that manages the nation’s largest elk herd, the fish in Colorado’s streams and river, the native species that call Colorado their home, go to dog parks, picnic areas, and campsites with Wi-Fi internet.

·
Registered
844 Posts
So we can't merge agencys, can't close hatcheries, can't close parks, can't reduce school budgets, can't adjust public employees wages and retirement, can't curtail the recovery program, can't touch SSI, can't take 5 day mail deliverys ???just WTF can Colorado and the rest of the country do to balance their budgets?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
So we can't merge agencys, can't close hatcheries, can't close parks, can't reduce school budgets, can't adjust public employees wages and retirement, can't curtail the recovery program, can't touch SSI, can't take 5 day mail deliverys ???just WTF can Colorado and the rest of the country do to balance their budgets?
We will die a slow death as a society if we DO NOT do all the things you describe but I fear we will be minimized as "radicals' by too many in society. It is easier that way! SAD!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
By "we" I assume you're referring to "We The People" and yes, we could do all those things; except government has grown to the point it is its own voting block coupled with the voting block of the entitlement group and "we" are pretty well screwed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Smpiker said:
I urge the sportsmen of this state to rally and oppose this merger . . . that is unless you want to see the money that manages the nation’s largest elk herd, the fish in Colorado’s streams and river, the native species that call Colorado their home, go to dog parks, picnic areas, and campsites with Wi-Fi internet.
Spoken like a true politician. Are you sure your motives aren't self-serving? This sounds more like a threat.

Blowfish said:
except government has grown to the point it is its own voting block coupled with the voting block of the entitlement group and "we" are pretty well screwed.
That about sums it up. And as some would say..........Spot On

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hm... there's a possible perk there...

If everybody paid as much to use state parks as we do to purchase our licenses every year...

Hm... now that's interesting. Would definitely cut down on the riff raff mucking it up for the rest of us.

Would have to show a license when you enter the park - maybe more rangers checking licenses - might cut down on the utter theft of fish that our license fees pay to put in those places that get beat on so much. Oh, what am I thinking? (I paid my six dollars to come here - I should be able to keep all the fish I catch because I paid my six dollar entrance fee... nobody's gonna check, right? Just gotta fill up five coolers....)

Hmmmm now for search and rescue - we all pay for that, sometimes a few times a year, depending on which licenses we purchase. All those crazy hikers and campers that never pay a cent and have to get rescued all the time. S & R is expensive, dangerous, and time consuming - most of those folks volunteer to do so, but a lot of the other stuff is very expensive.

Given, I do pay for both licenses to fish and parks passes every year. Hm... hafta think about that.

And yeah, it's a TOTAL money grab by a 'businessman' who doesn't really give a rat's arse about the outdoors. You so know he couldn't talk his way around a firearm, let alone use one. I didn't vote for him. He sees one agency (DOW) that actually *does* seem to know what it's doing and decides that the 'similar' agency (State Parks) that's perpetually struggling, and thinks 'hey, apples and bananas are both fruit, so...'

No. Can't use one to save the other.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts