Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions. I've been with Verizon for 10+ years, but thinking maybe its time for a change. Seriously, thinking about dumping my smartphone and just going old school. &^%$*## all the BS apps and exorbant charges as well. I'm thinking a simple phone is all I need. Call in, call out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have a Verizon phone for personal use (Droid) and an Iphone (AT&T) for work. The AT&T network is so overloaded, I either drop calls or can't get a call to send. This happens almost every day on multiple occasions.

Reception and quality are better on Verizon, I've compared them side by side all over the State and Verizon wins hands down. 11 Mile is a good example, I can use my Verizon phone on most of the lake while ATT has little or no service.

FC

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
IMO Verizon had better service, better coverage nationwide, and better rates. If you're just getting a phone for the phone, honestly it'll probably be a wash except for the coverage.

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
I have AT&T and have had Verizon, Sprint, Nextel (when it was just Nextel), etc.

The reason Fly Chucker may be having trouble with AT&T is because he has an iPhone - the phone signal on an iPhone sucks even if your in Downtown Denver.

I have a Blackberry smart phone on AT&T - have only had it for about a year and a half. Prior to that I just had stupid phones. I have no problems with signals on Elevenmile and the Fall before last, when I hunted the South Park area, I was able to use Google Maps on the Blackberry in certain areas to get around on the Forest Service Roads. It's not perfect in all areas of South Park but I was surprised at how much service I actually got. The cell tower is on top of the pass between Elevenmile and Flouriscant and it's line of sight.

In all honesty, if I where to look into changing providers, I'd look into T-Mobile. Their pricing plans look to be a bit better. About a year ago, I stepped into the Verizon store on Alameda and Kipling (across from the old Villa Italia in Lakewood) to pick up a cover for my Blackberry. I waited about 10 minutes to try to get help from someone before I walked out. I drove across the parking lot and noticed a T-Mobile store in the same shopping center - walked in and I had three people asking me if I needed help. The general mood of customers was a lot better as well. I was impressed.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Verizon for me............

By the way, if any of you use ADP for your payroll or if the company you work for uses ADP as your payroll processor, you can get 10% off your bill and other purchases.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Another +1 for Verizon!

Though i have never used AT&T I have never had a problem with Verizon.. I actually just signed up for another 2 years.. even after shopping around.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Verizon just launched their new LTE network, which will replace and greatly improve upon it's old CDMA network. the only catch in the LTE technology is that it is only usable right now with their newest boradband aircards. other devices such as Droids, phones, Blackberries all have the old antenna so they won't be able to use LTE. but things lik the new iPhone when Verizon starts selling it in a few months and new model devices will begin using LTE. it should rock. but like all new network coverage, it will take years before it is everywhere, hence even in a subrub of a major city you may drop down from LTE.

AT&T covers the globe best so if you want an domestic and international device the only game is AT&T.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Verizon. I'll say that their store here in Denver is fine. Never had an issue.

But for price, AT&T is cheaper. Iphone should be out for Verizon sometime this next year, then the networks will be bogged down like AT&T. lame

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
§limer said:
Verizon. I'll say that their store here in Denver is fine. Never had an issue.

But for price, AT&T is cheaper. Iphone should be out for Verizon sometime this next year, then the networks will be bogged down like AT&T. lame
I attended a mobile computing conference back in November and it was reported that AT&T experienced a 4932% increase in bandwidth demand after the iPhone was introduced. There aren't too many companies that can keep with that kind of growth and so I would expect some drop in service for Verizon as Rob says. Though I'm hopeful that Verizon learned from AT&T's experience, ironically the iPhone compatibility that is coming may be a good reason to choose AT&T as people make the switch! :)

On related note, one of the reasons I've stuck with AT&T and GSM, though, was what AA mentioned about global service. The GSM network is an international standard while CDMA (and I'm assuming the new LTE network?) is proprietary. This really doesn't matter much if you don't travel out of the country or if you travel to countries where CDMA is available. However, even with GSM, phones in the US are usually "locked" to a particular vendor then you are stuck paying their high per-minute international fees when using your phone overseas. Data rates and texts can also be ridiculous so don't forget to turn that off!

For cost effectiveness in longer term international communications I think a quad-band unlocked phone and the purchase of a GSM SIM from the local country can be the best option (as long as your US counterparts call you!). T-Mobile is also a GSM network the last I checked.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
ed, im on tmobile (pre paid) 50 a month unlimited talk text pics internet, unlimited EVERYTHING, and u can use any phone from tmobile. no tax no overages no nothing, unlimited everything, internet service talk text pics at grandby shadow mnt antero, only one spot i havent had serivce is up in ward colorado.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
GrumpieGills said:
ed, im on tmobile (pre paid) 50 a month unlimited talk text pics internet, unlimited EVERYTHING, and u can use any phone from tmobile. no tax no overages no nothing, unlimited everything, internet service talk text pics at grandby shadow mnt antero, only one spot i havent had serivce is up in ward colorado.
Sounds like a good deal.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
and tmobile is GSM so u can use ur sim in any card, like i use the blackberry bold. pre paid or not prepaid all sims work. u would have to unlock a tmobile phone for an at-t sim. and verizon wouldnt work with tmobile cause its cdma like cricket - patuuuewiwwww :)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Switched from Verizon to T-Mobil last year and have had zero problems and great customer service! I have at&t for a work phone but still get better reception on my t-Mobil in the mountains!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have had Cricket for 9 years, been ok for me. I get service at all my favorite Southpark and Wyo lakes. I think about changing providers until my friends tell me what they pay for their service :eek:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great feedback guys. Like I said I've been with Verizon for a while and had no complaints except them not wanting to honor my previous plan. Basically their trying to force me to more minutes because my old plan is no longer available. All I wanted to do was add two lines for my kids at $9.99 per additional line. I've never come close to using the 1000 minutes I've had since 2006. I've averaged a tad over 600 minutes for three phones the last two years. So, I've always had 400 minutes banked. I don't need 1400 minutes which is what they're tyring to force me to for close to 55% more than what I'm paying now. MY kids are not going to use all of the 400 minutes because they'll be texting and not talking. If I did exceed the 1000 minutes after a few months time then I would explore increasing my monthly minutes rather than pay the .40 per minute overage. Ironically, if I wouldn't have added the two lines I would've continued on my same plan. My two year renew was up this past July and obviously my plan was working for me just fine until wanting to add two lines. I'm no longer tethered to them because my two year agreement expired in July. I'm too the point where I'm looking to leave Verizon if that's the game they want to play with a customer in good standing for 10+ years. I get a 20% discount through my employer for all major cellular providers so I do have other options. What happen to premier customer service and maintaining a relationship with your consumers. After all everything is based on good relationships and taking care of those that take care of you.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Work 'em all. Make 'em work for your business and get the best deal you can. You'll be surprised how verizon acts when they know your gonna jump ship. Its the same with all of them...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts