Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for an hour yesterday - caught several stockers on a spinner. Many of the bait fishermen were doing well - it would be interesting to find out how many of them know there is a 4 trout limit. It is quite amusing to see a guy fishing alone carrying out a stringer with at least 12 trout -some of which were maybe 7 inches.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Would it be wrong to turn him in? Shouldnt we as fisherman help to keep the rules in place? Or should we keep to ourselfs?

INPUT?

Thanks for the report.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
213 Posts
Report, no questions asked. The DOW is very serious about people not following the rules especially when it comes to poaching, which taking fish that aren't legal to take is. If I saw someone doing it, yes, I would pull out my lisence, call the number and report it.

M

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't confront anyone. It's not worth getting into it with someone about it and getting hurt over it. Let the pros handle it.

Operation Game Thief info:

1-877-COLO-OGT, Verizon cell phone users can dial #OGT

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I asked what he was using - but he didn't speak English - in fact I don't think anyone fishing there yesterday did.   Does the DOW patrol that lake on a regular basis - it looks like the city of Englewood posted signs everywhere.  And talk about trash EVERYWHERE.  
I wish I had a video camera so everyone could see a guy bring a fish in - when it got about 5 feet from shore he would suddenly yank with all his might - the fish would end up 15 feet from the water.  

·
Registered
89 Posts
when I was little, this lake used to be very clean, upkept, and the fishing was fun there. i still go there a couple times a year just to screw around, but this place has been trashed over the last few years with no help at all. the water is dirty from the sawdust that flies in and half the time you think you caught a fish, you're just pulling someones trash out of the lake. i've lost count of how many times i've pulled a yoohoo bottle, or a big gulp cup, or a plastic bag, or huge amounts of mono from someone who got nested and decided to just throw it in the lake instead of the trash can five feet away.

and Mr Ed is right about confronting people. especially in this area. the language barrier is the biggest reason, but i've seen some rough folks that go there to fill their stringers that i probably wouldn't approach.

and as far as the DOW, i'm not sure they much care about this lake anymore. i made atleast 6 calls last year, as did my sister and my wife (all seperate calls) about a duck that had been shot in the head with a blow dart. (again, why i probably wouldnt approach someone there). this duck swam around the lake for weeks with this dart lodged just above its eye. and each time i saw it, i made the phone call.

i'll definately write down the Game Thief number though. that's good info. i hate seeing that stuff at Centennial or anywhere for that matter.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree - I don't think DOW or Englewood has made this lake a high priority to manage. There are a bunch of golf balls along the East shoreline, and someone had a great time drinking and dumping beer bottles in the water as well. I was out last summer in the middle of the night hammering trout when 3 cops came out of the parking lot telling me it wasn't a good idea to be out around the lake at night because "several incidents" had occured. I later found the park closes at dusk. It is a fun place to come out and catch stockers - but not seeing any regulations enforced is quite discouraging.
What I do like about the lake - I have pulled in 3 huge smallmouth in the last 2 years on a bubble and grey ugly fly. And by huge I mean close to a state record -over 18 inches and probably over 5 pounds. I caught 2 in the middle of the night, which I thought were intially carp when I first saw them- and one during the middle of the day by myself with no camera. I released all of them so they are hopefully still swimming in there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've also fished this lake since childhood and much has changed. I did see DOW there last year and they urged me to call them anytime I seen people poaching so I do. Last week a guy had a stringer full of 7 to 8 in. trout and was pissed at me because I refused to give him my fish. ( I rarely keep anything I catch) I asked him if he knew there was a 4 fish limit and suddenly his english wasn't so good. Anyway, I have no problem calling DOW and I encourage anyone else who reads this to call. The more reports they get the more Rangers we'll see.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
i agree when i was little my grandma took me here all the time i use to catch 5lb largemouth every summer nice trout and even really decent crappie i;ve noticed its gone down hill the area kinda freaks me out when i was little this weird lady always walked around the lake and spit at people and yell stuff she was strange but anyway does anyone know how deep that lake is

·
Registered
87 Posts
have any of you guys ever considered calling the city's (englewood i presume?) police dispatch number? just a thought, andi dont think it could hurt.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
its tough enough getting the police to come out to your residence if you have a problem, much less going to a park for a nusiance problem. maybe if an officer had been involved they would do something.. no comprende seems to be a big part of the littering problems and bag limit issues at some of the lakes i fish at also. maybe where they are from they have people that clean up the lakes after them. ;D guess the rules only need to be inforced if you can read them.. wonder if they had valid licenses. ??? betcha i know the answer to that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
catfishking said:
i agree when i was little my grandma took me here all the time i use to catch 5lb largemouth every summer nice trout and even really decent crappie i;ve noticed its gone down hill the area kinda freaks me out when i was little this weird lady always walked around the lake and spit at people and yell stuff she was strange but anyway does anyone know how deep that lake is
holy crap, you remember her too?! she always had that little dog, and would spit at people. lol. crazy people i tell ya.

·
Registered
258 Posts
We have never been to Centennial Park Lake and, from what I read here, we will never go. There are just to many "nice" places to fish.
And, there will always be people out there that just plainly don't care about
"size or limit" when it comes to fishing. There are also people that just don't care about where they throw their trash while fishing. What can be done about these kind of people........if possible, report them to the DOW. But, I doubt very much that I would approach these people. We aren't living back in the Lassie and Rin Tin Tin days......people can be very dangerous nowadays.
As far as the Mexican Nationals/ Immigration thing goes, I know what the wife and I think, but we will remain quiet on that topic. The U.S. Government is
in-charge of this topic. The public has different opinions on this, but ultimately it is up to the Government to decide.
Cody (cowboyfisherman)

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Yikes, parts of this thread are starting to get a little touchy. Without being too political, I have only this to say:

At another point in time, my ancestors were also immigrants to this country and they too faced some real hardships. We shouldn't forget that bad and good behavior in people is independent of race.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would never confront anyone who I suspected might be breaking the law.
That is a recipie for nothing but trouble.
On the other hand, anyone who violates wildlife laws should be reported to CDOW regardless of who they are.
When you call CDOW, give a description of the individual, describe their vehicle, and also get the plate number.
The more information you provide on the violator the better.
DO NOT let them know you are interested in them or their illegal activities.
Most violators know that they are breaking the law.
In my experience, the CDOW District Wildlife Managers DO want to enforce wildlife laws, but they are spread very thin.
They need our help to keep these types of activities in check, and appreciate accurate information that may be used to follow up on violators.
If trash is a problem, call the Englewood City Council members.
Trust me, if a council member calls a police or parks official, the problem will be addressed, especially if there are multiple complaints by Englewood citizens.

Thumper

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have never once seen anyone looking like a wildlife officer policing the area. I live a few minutes away (safe neighborhood!) but the place is turning into such a joke it isn't even worth stopping by after work. I stopped by for a few and caught some more stockers on a spinner - and talked to a guy that was catching trout with a homemade sinking fly on every cast. Forgot to ask him if he was on this site but he is a great guy and needs to be. After he caught maybe 5 in 10 minutes a teen wearing baggy pants with chains everywhere came about 5 feet away and tossed out a bobber as big as a beach ball - which eventually drifted over to where he was. My comments of "it's a big lake buddy" went unheard through his headphones - I could hear Metallica though! Anyone like the Fade to Black album? You could hear it just like you were at a live concert! And I did pass the guy with the pit bull - it is always tied to the tree on the north side of the lake. Down east of him is the guy that sits up on the trail - 15 feet from his poles that have bells on the rod tips.
Never know what you are going to run into at Centennial!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts