Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to keep the late night corn popping, gang ... this question occurred:

Who all has been fortunate/skillful enough to have caught a tiger muskie? (Not me.)




How 'bout telling us about the catch. You don't have to mention where, but like ... did it fight hard? What did it hit? Were you targeting it or fishing for something else? etc.

Cool-looking fish. Congrats, CF'ers who have!

Just off the top of my head, I'm guessing that FishLip & FlyFishGeek have. Maybe SoleSearcher? Boondock? PescadoDiablo? Shuyak? Trout? Slayerfish? Shutupandfish? Slimer? ....... Just taking pokes at it.

Again, who has brought this elusive species to hand?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,877 Posts
Caught a smallish one (26-28" or so) at Quincy back in the day, but have never really targeted them other than that one trip, and once or twice walking the banks at Evergreen. Chartreuse and silver J-13 Rapala.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,192 Posts
I have caught a couple.
They fight extremely hard! They jump dive and do anything they can do get off.
Rogues have worked pretty good and a rare bait I use for pike.
Plan to try for some more this year!

Clint walker has caught two in one day. Think one was 32" other 29" or 30".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,422 Posts
Boondock said:
I have caught a couple.
They fight extremely hard! They jump dive and do anything they can do get off.
Rogues have worked pretty good and a rare bait I use for pike.
Plan to try for some more this year!

Clint walker has caught two in one day. Think one was 32" other 29" or 30".
I thought they asked for CFers.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,554 Posts
Koldkut said:
Boondock said:
I have caught a couple.
They fight extremely hard! They jump dive and do anything they can do get off.
Rogues have worked pretty good and a rare bait I use for pike.
Plan to try for some more this year!

Clint walker has caught two in one day. Think one was 32" other 29" or 30".
I thought they asked for CFers.....
:D :D :D :D

Yeah I was in the boat when clint caught his. Those things jump like bass! Nuts. The ones he caught fought so hard that we were both shaking from adrenaline OD when I netted them for him. hahaha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boondock said:
Clint Walker has caught two in one day.
That's a pretty impressive feat.

Wish he was still on, by the way. Understand why he isn't, though. I tried to make the case to him for sticking it out before he left, but at the same time I don't fault him.

Whoops, don't mean to derail my own thread. Two tigers in a day -- thumbs up. And didn't know they apparently display that 'hybrid vigor' in terms of being formidable fighters when hooked. Maybe I should make eventually catching one a long-term goal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,804 Posts
Me....



Ok, well not yet, but it's on the list with actually LANDING a pike as well. It will be done this summer. Mostly likely, it will be while fishin' with Boondork....

;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone got a decent snapshot of themselves holding one they caught? If so, do what I hope Nene does tonight . . . post up! ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,341 Posts
They are high up on my TO DO list, but I will be traveling to Utah or N.M. to chase them, both of those states have very active stocking programs and the fish are thriving. I get fairly regular reports of the 40" class fish being caught
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,275 Posts
In the early 90s we would catch a few a week.

The "big" ones were between 36-38". But I have seen the monsters being caught.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
I caught a nice muskellunge while walleye fishing out in Nebraska at Merritt Reservoir.
It was not a hybrid tiger, but it sure was cool to catch it.
Ultralight rod with 6 pound test line, fishing a live leech.
Had it on for about 15 minutes before I knew what species of fish it was. I though maybe it was a big cat or carp, then it jumped clean out of the water shaking it's head...I'll never forget it!
After about a 25 minute fight I finally brought it to the net....44 inches, 23 pounds....my biggest fish ever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Boondock said:
Rogues ...
You know, Boon, I think I've heard of those. ;)

FLYFISHGEEK said:
They are high up on my TO DO list, but I will be traveling to Utah or N.M. to chase them, both of those states have very active stocking programs and the fish are thriving. I get fairly regular reports of the 40" class fish being caught
Keep us posted, Terry. We know how accomplished you are w/the pike.

Thumper said:
I caught a nice muskellunge while walleye fishing out in Nebraska at Merritt Reservoir.
It was not a hybrid tiger, but it sure was cool to catch it.
Ultralight rod with 6 pound test line, fishing a live leech.
Had it on for about 15 minutes before I knew what species of fish it was. I though maybe it was a big cat or carp, then it jumped clean out of the water shaking it's head...I'll never forget it!
After about a 25 minute fight I finally brought it to the net....44 inches, 23 pounds....my biggest fish ever.
Thrilling! Nice job and thanks for sharing.


BTW, I might've seen one take out a duckling at Stearns Lake in Broomfield.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,235 Posts
Landed a few.... Had one come unglued right in front of me that I bet was 30 lbs, and got followed by one even bigger. The one that followed me was under my boat and I could have probably reached down and touched, but the sob wouldn't commit. That was a few years ago and I still get the chills thinking about it....probably my favorite fishing moment of all time that doesn't include my son.
 
1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Top