Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chambers fished very well for macs last Friday.  My buddy and I iced 7 in about 4 hrs, lost several others.  The bite was best around 1:00 in the afternoon.  I tried to save some money and bought some cheap jig heads for my tube jigs.....I hooked three very solid fish that straightened my hooks.  I forget what brand they were, I'll check and post up what brand NOT to buy.

The ice was ~12-14 inches thick, 50/50 milky/clear, 4-6 inches snow cover.  If you're using a hand auger, look out when you hit the clear hard ice, it can rip your shoulder off!

C

·
0 Posts
I could be wrong but the fish in the picture looks a little like a splake. The tail looks more like a lake trout but the orange in the tail is a charecteristic of a splake. Nice looking fish regardless.

·
Registered
176 Posts
cutthroat, you sure its not a splake? tail is awfully forked for a laker- it is big for a splake- but I could see how it could be confused

L

·
0 Posts
Definatley a laker i don't think there is enough white on the fins for it to be a splake. splake do get a heck of alot bigger than that too i think the state record splake is 18 lbs 15 oz.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's interesting about the possibility of that fish being a splake. I haven't caught much of either (macs or splakes) to be able to tell right off the bat. This particular fish did have "squiggly" lines on the top of its back like a brookie - are those present on lakers as well? If you look closely at the photo you can just barely see what I'm talking about. The meat was brick red, a common color for lakers?

This site says there are splake in chambers... http://www.anglerguide.com/Colorado/index.cfm?TR_ID=402

I've still got to check the brand on those crappy jigheads.

·
Registered
935 Posts
hellfish said:
cutthroat, you sure its not a splake? tail is awfully forked for a laker- it is big for a splake- but I could see how it could be confused
Macks are the ones with the deeply forked tails - splakes less so.  That is the single best visual way to tell the difference.  Color is unreliable for closely related species and their hybrids (changes soon after the fish dies).

I have caught lots of fish at Chambers, and not one of them has been a splake. Not sure when the last time splake were stocked there, but if there are any left, I don't think there are many.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yeah, O-salmon bin laden, trying to hide your location by hanging fabric in the background? ;D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Geeze CT......that fabric is my Ghetto 5000 ice fishing shelter ;D.  I took at $30 tent, cut holes in the corners and sit inside with my heater and actually enjoy icefishing!  I was fishing the NE corner, over some structure I found when the lake was really low a couple of years ago.  The wind was either 40 mph or non-existant.  It felt like we were going to be blown off the ice a couple of times.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I know what your talking about with the wind. Last time I was up there it was dead or a hurricane. It liked to blow the most right after I caught a fish. Coincidence?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't notice if the wind gusts came each time a fish was caught......I hope there's no connection there. ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Fresh Water Basics" = bad tube jig heads! (green package) I'm looking for Gamakatsu's next time-they have never failed me.

·
0 Posts
basshunter said:
Geeze CT......that fabric is my Ghetto 5000 ice fishing shelter  ;D.  I took at $30 tent, cut holes in the corners and sit inside with my heater and actually enjoy icefishing!  I was fishing the NE corner, over some structure I found when the lake was really low a couple of years ago.  The wind was either 40 mph or non-existant.  It felt like we were going to be blown off the ice a couple of times.
Basshunter that is an interresting idea with the tent,you cut holes in the corners;why, and how did you get it stable on the ground???I got an extra tent at home,never use it at all,but your idea is good news to me.
Please let me know how you did it,thanks.

·
Registered
935 Posts
BH, you knew I was kidding about the whole o-salmon bin laden thing, right? Anyway, I'd like to learn more about what you did with the tent, too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the whole tent thing arose after a few "unpleasant" ice fishing trips, and a 2 year abondonment of the whole ice fishing scene.  But I must say, although a little cramped - the warm, windless environment of the tent is awesome! (I even cooked steaks for lunch on the stove).  I look forward to the day when I can afford an actual ice-fishing shelter  ;D

My tent is a three person stansport dome tent.  I cut square holes in the two corners opposite of the door (cut the holes so the flap folds towards the door, not the wall).  Once my bucket, storage box, and backpack was inside the tent was very stable against the wind (no staking).  But...I think the saving grace for that was the fact that there was enough snow cover to provide some good traction, I would be nervous on bare slick ice.  I put a storage box between the holes which served as a nice table.  I was fortunate enough to have a snowmobile ride for this trip (hence the storage box), but I will snowshoe in next week and give it a try again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts