Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Chambers today and were on the ice from 7:30-10:30. Brutal conditions. Caught a nice laker within first five minutes, but we only ended up with 6 fish on the day. (2 macks, 4 bows) We barely made it out of the inlet because the wind was howling and the snow was falling and blowing so thickly. We caught all fish on white tubes tipped with sucker. It would have been a miserable day without our ice hut.

·
0 Posts
finkyfever said:
Fished Chambers today and were on the ice from 7:30-10:30.  Brutal conditions.  Caught a nice laker within first five minutes, but we only ended up with 6 fish on the day.  (2 macks, 4 bows)  We barely made it out of the inlet because the wind was howling and the snow was falling and blowing so thickly.  We caught all fish on white tubes tipped with sucker.  It would have been a miserable day without our ice hut.
Drove up to the Red Feathes Lake again, but had to turn around ten miles before I got there,same conditions as yours,there was a bad accident up there too, a Cheve-Bronco rolled over where it's gets flat,right after the Restaurnte with the small pond on the left hand side going up, all smashed up,some one got hurt! drove about two miles past the accident and it got so bad ,turnd around and went to Boyd.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah i agree, me and a few buddies camped up in the Rosevelt Forest lastnight and the wind/snow came howling down on us swaying the tent back and forth blowingout our fire that took aleast 20 mins to start lol you would think the trees would keep the wind away. We also seen the SUV being towed away from the ditch while leaving Dowdy around 9:45am.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On our way out my buddy and I agreed that we probably should have turned around at the gate.  It was cleared off on the poudre canyon road at the turn to red feather and we considered going up there on our way back home.  After reading what you had to say, I'm glad we didn't.  Have you fished Parvin yet this year?  If so, have you had any success?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Always check the weather conditions at Red Feather before you go up. Look at the forecast on one of the weather websites for Red Feather. Those are pretty good. Pay attention particularly to the wind. If it snows, it's not so bad, but if it's windy also, you're in for it. My personal rule (not having a shelter) is that if the forecast calls for more than 10 mph average winds, I pick a different place to go. There is no way to get a reliable forecast for Chambers, unfortunately. I look at Walden and Red Feather and assume Chambers is going to be somewhere between, most of the time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's very hard to find many days, that the wind doesn't blow 10 mph, I guess I would be staying home most of the time, Not. Good clothes and common sense, I've fished without a shelter, with 30-40 mph winds and cold temps. One nice thing though, most people go home, or find some place with less wind?

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'm talkin about a 10mph "average" wind. A 10 mph average will vary from no wind to 25 mph gusts. After fishing many times, I found that above 10 mph average, the wind gusts get bad enough that I'm chasing my gear every 10 minutes. Lower, and I can focus on fishing without worrying about the wind.

I sometimes violate the rule, if the wind is coming from a good direction and I know I can find shelter on the lake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts