Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally made it up to Chambers on thursday.  Weather was great, except for the wind. It wasn't that cold and the sun stayed out all day. The wind was mild most of the day but when it blew look out. The gusts were so bad at some times all we could do was close our eyes and bury our faces into our jackets, and when it was over get up and chase down my gear. Snowshoed in the campground entrance with the intent to head up to the north side of the lake to go after some lakers. I just couldn't do it. The trout action on the south side of the lake was HOT. We stopped first in the little cove on the east side just past the boat ramp to get out of the wind and then second off the first point on the west side of the lake(before the lake opens up). It was great. Caught fish all day long.  All fish were rainbows about 12"-15". They fought better than the fish at dowdy. We were using a 1'4oz kasty with a little 1/32 white jig with a pink head about 3" below it and my girlfriends goto lure, a little perch colored jigging rapala. All tipped with a hole meal worm stuck through the tail. Letting it fall 12" or so and deadsticking it was deadly. The second spot was the most effective but at the end of the day off the point alittle in about 15' of water I hooked something big five times. It broke me off each time. I swithed to heavier stuff but then it wouldn't take.  Laker maybe? I only have a disposable camera so when I get it developed I'll post pics.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Re: Chambers 12/8

You have to set that drag properly and not allow a fish to break your line. I find that I need to set my drag more loosely when I'm ice fishing since the line could possible cut off on some jagged ice around my hole. You can catch a 25 lb. mackon 4 lb. test if you have enough of it are are willing to have a prolonged battle. That's fun!

·
Registered
935 Posts

Your second spot is a good spot for rainbows. The macks occassionally turn up on that south end, so maybe that's what was breaking you off, but there are also some bigger rainbow trout in there, as well, so you never know.

If you go there for Macs, you can certainly hope ou have your drag set right and use light gear, but I use a medium-action or stiffer rod, fairly long (40"), 6 lb. test line, and also use the best knot for the line you're using. A turtle knot seems to be stronger on the stren ice line I use for leader material, but a modified clinch knot works better on the line I've strug my rods with. If I use the wrong knot, the line breaks easily at cold temps.

·
Registered
935 Posts

When I was there, you could see for a mile down the hole - very clear.

·
Registered
935 Posts

No shelter. I wear dark clothes so when I lean over the hole there's no sky to reflect back at me. It works much better in a shelter, though. I also fished Chambers in mid-November, before it iced up, and the water was crystal clear then, too.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

Hmmmmmmmm, I never even tried to look down the hole, the wind kept tipping me over, or blew snow in my face :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts