Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted anything in ages, so here's a report from yesterday.  I hit chambers yesterday with a friend and caught quite a few average-sized lakers, and we lost some above average sized fish at the hole.  The ice is ~ 35" thick and we barely punched through at my hand augers last extension. 

We were fishing in 43 FOW, and the lakers were right on the bottom, or cruising through between 30-40 ft.  Several fish were caught off of the fishfinder by adjusting the lure depth with the fish depth - pretty cool!

The rainbows were cruising through at 15-20 FOW mostly and were bold enough to hit our large laker offerings.  We incidentally caught a lot of those also.  They are providing an effective smokescreen for the macs.

I used to fish an underwater hump in front of the cabin on the NE side of the lake.  That spot was pretty consistent, but it seems quite popular lately and there's always a group sitting over there.  We have moved around a lot the last few trips and found other consistent spots, and learned a lot about what kind of locations hold lakers.

M

·
0 Posts
Those are some nice fish! I saw your name on the post and said hmmm, he probably posted some pictures. I've never been to Chambers, but the fishies look nice.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Good to hear from you basshunter. Nice fish.

I hear you about the ice thickness. Last time I was up there I thought my arm was going to fall off. How was the snow on the lake? Was it deep?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The snow is pretty deep on the lake now, and there is ~ a foot of unsettled snow making it difficult to move around much. A couple of weeks ago the snow was packed and you could have walked in without snowshoes if you wanted to.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
NICE!!

I bet y'all had quite a meal! All I can think of when I look at those is butter & garlic... Mmmmmm... (daydreaming).

1eyeReD

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's always a great meal when Basshunter (along with his wife) is cookin. :) But the lakers are especially tasty! Great day on the ice once again. Ross was bummed he missed out on the action, so we might have to do it again before the ice melts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
basshunter said:
The snow is pretty deep on the lake now, and there is ~ a foot of unsettled snow making it difficult to move around much.  A couple of weeks ago the snow was packed and you could have walked in without snowshoes if you wanted to. 
I know this is last minute, but, I'm thinking of going to chambers tomorrow (3/24) and wondering if you can get in and across the lake without a snowmobile of snow shoes. Maybe the snows packed down or blown off by now. Anybody been up there in the last couple of days?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man that's a tough call, like I said earlier once the snow gets packed down it's fairly easy to travel around on foot. With our recent weather I would suspect there to be a decent layer of fresh snow on top, making hiking-in difficult. I personally wouldn't head in without snowshoes. Good luck if you decide to go!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
going up over cameron pass last weekend coming and going to walden, they had about 6 to 8 inches of new snow, i'm pretty sure that is hasn't blown off as it hasn't been that cold, so the snow melts a little and gets sticky.it was a pretty wet snow for that area, it wasnt very cold last weekend. i don't think that lake has been getting much traffic. i havn't seen many people parked by the road the last 3 weekends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts