Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of us walked in to Chambers yesterday from the campground entrance. Most of the snow had a pretty good crust on it, so walking wasn't too bad except for the hill right at the lake; the crust there was weak so we trudged through a couple of feet there.

We fished in about 32 fow. I caught a few on jigs with sucker meat or PowerBait plastics. The fish were between 14 and 18 inches. We had a lot of fish check us out and leave without biting, and of course we got bit while goofing off, so we missed some bites too.

The power auger was heavy to tote in and out, but I was sure glad I brought it. When the powerhead was approaching the ice, I was worried I wouldn't make it through. Ice, with what seemed like 2 layers of slush/crust was forever thick; at least 32".

The wind was omnidirectional and cold. I gave up trying to hide from it.

Reading through this, it looks like I'm whining a little. Don't take it wrong, I had a great time, and it was beautiful up there. I just want anybody else that might go up there to understand that it's a little more work and discomfort than going to the local stocked pond and harvesting starving rainbows.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Went to chambers for the 1st time a few weeks ago.. Love that place!! We had the entire lake to ourselves for the whole day!!

Hike in pulling a sled full of gear.. including a power Auger...was worth it :) But we luckily hit it before the snow got DEEP!! LOL

Glad you caught a few to make it even more worth the hassle :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was my 1st too.

The only other living things we saw up there were a cross country skier and his dog.

I'm thinking we got the schedule backwards. We should've hit Chambers a month ago when not much else was frozen, then hit the front range yesterday. Oh well, I can't complain about a day on the ice, and I'm glad we went.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts