Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried Chambers lake along the northeast shore starting near the Laramie River outlet. I caught one 10" and one 12" rainbow trout on 1/4 oz. rainbow trout patterned kastmaster. Curiously, I had other trout follow and attempt to outrun the lure, and bite at the head (swivel) end.

I had a still rod fishing with sucker meat in hopes of catching a lake trout, but the lake trout didn't hit anything, including a buzz bomb I tried some casting with.

If I wasn't tired already by the time I drove by the campground entrance, which is closed now, I would have hiked in to try the shallower water on the south end of the lake. Instead, I drove up to have a look at Joe Wright. It was good to see some ice beginning to form at the inlet. I'm really looking forward to the ice fishing season.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Have you heard of any brood stock lakers coming from Joe Wright. I heard they stocked a bunch of lakers over 10lbs a while back.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
when i was up thier last i stoped at the fish hatchery, and the ranger was telling me that they stocked the lakers threw the ice and he claimed they had to cut a square with a chainsaw because the macks were so big, two years ago i caught a 16 inch laker at chambers on powerbait

·
Registered
16,687 Posts
I iced J-wright last year in hopes of gettin into those big macs. Is that place always that friggin windy? We caught tons of grayling.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think they put the macks in there to thin out some of those tiny grayling. It may be tough to catch one if their bellies are stuffed with 6-10 inch grayling.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your options are also limited by the artificial lures regulation at Joe Wright.

They did stock the big lakers last year (neutered), but some are known to be gone, now. Some were caught, and a few were gill netted during surveys.

Because of the nearly constant howling winds, the artificial lure regulation, and the relatively low density of lakers stocked, Joe Wright is not a very appealing option for mack fishing.

D

·
0 Posts
I've never fished Joe Wright. Does it have a boat ramp where a person can launch a trailered boat? If so, a fella would have a decent shot at a mack by jigging I would think. You don't need sucker meat or other bait. I only drove by it once and that was in the middle of winter when there was a lot of snow & ice, so I couldn't really get the lay of the land.

·
Registered
16,687 Posts
Nope,no ramp. Also no motorized boats.Belly boats or canoes maybe.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I ice fished Joe Wright last year three times in the last part of the season and it turned out to be quite an adventerous excursion. Getting on to the frozen lid was quite a task due to the deep snow. Once on the lake moving and scouting with sonar proved to be tough because of the deep snow and thick ice. I probally only moved three times in about four hours. In order to get a hole in the ice, my power auger was nearly bottoming out. Then, once I was able to finaly drop a few holes the surrounding ice flooded with about four inches of water. The extreme weight of the snow on top of the ice actually pushed it below the surface elevation causing water to pour out over and onto the ice. I did try for the Mackinaw with no avail although there were some very big fish passing on my electronics. I managed to catch a ton of grayling and one cutthrout on small ice jigs. Trying to release the fish proved to be quite difficult as well because of the flooded ice. The fish never wanted to swim back down the hole. Istead, they would dart away from the hole and bury themselves in slush at which time I would have to pull my gloves off and dig for the fish until I could find them and try again. Tough conditions to ice fish this lake although I will do it again only earlier in the season.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts