Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I ice-fished Chambers Lake yesterday (I was "sick") for about 2 hours. There was almost enough ice to make me comfortable, but not quite, so we had a rope tied to a handy tree, and weaving between our holes, just in case. The ice was of mixed quality, with about 3" of clear ice and maybe another inch of bubbly ice on top. It was sketchy enough that we never ventured more than 30' or so feet off the bank, and because of that, we never fished in water deeper than 10'. We still iced 3 rainbows (with nice orange flesh, the biggest about 15", the other two about 13"), but weren't in deep enough water for the lake trout.

The weather up there was very warm (for 10,000') and the inch or so of snow on the ice was melting when we decided that we'd heard enough ominous cracking sounds for one day. It will probably be good in another week or so, provided we don't get too much more unseasonably warm weather.

Incidentally, while we were up there, a couple of CDOT trucks came by and one guy stopped to talk to us. He told us that they were closing the Laramie River Rd. that day, and that the gate on the N end of the road (near Honholz, I believe) was locked. There is no gate where the road joins Hwy. 14, but they did put a sign up saying that the road is closed (i.e., drive at your own risk). The road is currently very driveable with 4WD, but one or two heavy snows will take care of that.

Still, even though fishing was not that great and the ice wasn't quite ready, it was good to get out and flex the old auger. I can't wait for the next trip!

G

·
OH THANK YOU THANK YOU I HAVE BEEN WAITIBG FOR THAT I AM HEADING UP SAT. SO GOOD NEWS!! PLANNING ON JOE WRIGHT BUT MIGHT HIT CHAMBERS. Anybody ever hit Barnes medow for the ice??? How is it???

·
Registered
16,795 Posts
You the MAN! I think saturdays a go for Chambers-never fished there,YEE-HAW!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you guys head up to Chambers, just be careful on the ice on Saturday. With the really warm weather this week, the ice is likely to be a little bit sketchy, and there's no reason to go for an early season swim! It was the sort of ice where you get the auger going and all of a sudden you're through the ice.

Didn't look at Barnes Meadow, but it should be about the same. Same thing with Joe Wright, though with the wind it might still have some open water.

Let us know how you do...I may be able to get up there sometime next week!

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
and there's no reason to go for an early season swim
Like Wile E Coyote in a cartoon...auger goes through...hole stays...but all the ice around you on the lake evaporates instantly!...

I think you are screwed!...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Chambers will have primo ice by next weekend, due to cold temps this week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts