Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I made our first ice fishing trip of the season today. We wanted to catch some lake trout so we decided to try Chambers Lake. There was a high wind warning for the area around the lake today and after being out there for 6 hours we know why the warning was posted. The wind blew hard most of the day and several times the snow squalls were so heavy that you couldn't see more than 10 or 15 feet in front of you. It was still worth getting out on the lake and doing some fishing.
We parked on the highway and skied down the campground road and onto the lake. We fished several areas along the west bank in 20 to 70 feet of water. We found fish at all depths and most of them were willing to hit our tubes and tails tipped with sucker meat. White was the hot color for both the tubes and tails. Most of the fish were 10 to 15 feet off the bottom today which made fishing with the flashers a must. We only caught a few fish on the bottom and those fish were in about 40 feet of water. In six hours we caught and released more than 50 lake trout. We didn't find any big fish today but the numbers made up for size and the action was great for the first trip of the new ice season. The biggest fish we caught today were about 18 inches. The smallest ones were about 14 inches. The fish were all fat and healthey and good fighters.
It appeared as though we might have been the first ice fishermen to fish Chambers this winter. There were no other tracks or holes around that we saw. The wind had most of the snow blown off the lake and ice cleats were a must. The ice wasn't as thick as we had expected and we found 4 to 6 inches of ice in most of the areas we fished. It was plenty safe and will only be getting thicker from now on. There were a few areas that looked a little sketchy and we just went around them. The Laramie River road is closed so skiing, hiking or snowmobiling are the only ways to access the lake at this point.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
How far a ski or hike in is it? I've always wanted to fish Chambers or Long Draw. Probably be a summer trip for me though. Does anyone ice fish Long Draw??

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
elkdeerbear said:
How far a ski or hike in is it? I've always wanted to fish Chambers or Long Draw. Probably be a summer trip for me though. Does anyone ice fish Long Draw??
It is about a 10 to 15 minute hike to reach the lake. If the snow is deep it is much faster to ski in than to hike. Once you hit the lake you can start fishing pretty quickly in shallower water. You have to go quite a ways to get into deeper water if lakers are you main target.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
That hill is a killer coming up out of there down Laramie River Road. Yeah, you've got a walk of close to 3/4 mile to a mile once you hit the lake to get to the deeper laker water for sure. Hard not to think of the hike out once you're in there...always in the back of my mind when I'm there....with that being said...I can't wait to get back there again....LOL (seriously). ;D

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sweet plan on making the trip up next Sunday 12/12 so if anyone is around I stop and say hi or even better give us a lift lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts