Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Camped up the poudre yesterday. Had a great time. I could not seem to stop forgeting things. Every time I got to a fishing spot, oops no camera, pilers,net,ect...  Oh well.

Fished the poudre above rustic in a couple of places. Did well on the old red copper john/black beauty combo. Don't let the lower poudre fool you. If you drive far enough run off isn't as bad. Caught about a 50/50 rainbows vs browns.

Drove up to Chambers and was excited there was no ice. Fished both the campground entrance and the inlet. Did well on wooly buggers, kastys and thomas boyants. My girlfriend outfished me by a factor of ten. Every other cast she had a fish on. No sign of lakers though. I threw all sorts of tube jigs and got nothing.

I had to swith to spinners to keep up.

The fish at chambers are great. They fight better than most. Does any one know when they open the gate. I don't mind the hike. It keeps the masses away. I just wan't to bring my boat up here .

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had good luck for lakers by taking the Larimer River road entrance and fishing the outlet, especially this early. The only problem is that the road can get messy. Take care.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you pass the inlet to get to the outlet on the larime river road? Maybe I was fishing the outlet. This is my frist time open water fishing chambers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, the inlets (Joe Wright creek, and Trap creek, I believe) are by the campgrounds (Its been a while seen I've fished those). The outlet is found by taking the Larimer river road entrance which is before the campground entrance. Take that road back for awhile and you'll see it. Thats a good spot all year round.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, not usually. It will fill up some, depending on the snow pack. For a shore fisherman like me I enjoy it when the water is low like this, especially for lakers. I think the campground road is paved, atleast for awhile, so if you were on a paved road then you were by the inlets. If you were on a dirt road then you were on the Larimer river road. I think thats the only roads into Chambers. Anyway nice catch, I was always impressed with the quality of fish there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Picture #2 looks like the outlet area in the background. I remember that down tree in the upper left hand corner. You might have been just a tad bit too early for any laker action.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Chambers is really low and unless you have a small boat you can launch without the use of the boat ramp, it will be awhile till the lake fills up enough to launch boats from the main ramp. The north end is supposed to be good for lakers and is deeper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts