Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone uses the change a tip fly line. I was thinking about getting the cortland camo its a Clear Intermediate fly line for lake fishing but than I saw that cortland also make the change a tip. Thanks for any info Anthony

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
is that the line that goes from double tapper to weight forward, floating to sinking by just changing the last section of line?

if so how is the conection made, is it a loop to loop or some fancy conector?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've never bought a full "system" but have seen them up close and they look OK. The ones I have seen use a loop-to-loop connection.

What I do use are the loop-to-loop sink tips (mine are 4 ft) that link into a WF-F line and have been satisfied with them. I only have to use a sink tip on occasion, but haven't had any problems w/ casting and it saved me $ vs. another line, backing & spool.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the loop to loop system .Road kill I'll be making a trip back home in July me a friend have a trip planed for the 2nd week in July for 9 days. We plan on hitting Brush, Macey and Lily let me know if you would like join us.Anthony

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
sounds fun, not shure what my schedule will be then, but i might make it. heck i could spend 9 days at brush alone from the pics ive seen dont know about the fishing there it seems to be very popular with the hikers

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fishing there is the best in Colorado in my opinion. It is full of brookies and tons of fun. We caught them up to 22" and about 3pounds. But the hike sucks with a full pack we did not make it to the lake on the first day. But the fishing is well worth it.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
are most of the brookies good sized or do you have to wade thru tons of dinks to get a nice sized brookie?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most of the brooks are in the 13" range in lower lake some bigger upper lake there are some state recorded swimming around. Both lakes are bigger than most high mountain lakes (If any one getting Ideas on going to these lakes Plan on a good 6-7 miles pain in the a!! hike one way). As far as wadding we pack in our float tubes to all the lake we go to.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
float tubes, you read my mind. how do you inflate them once you get there? just by mouth or do you use one of those battery powered inflators?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Ken Broeren said:
roadkill said:
just by mouth
You'd find me passed out on the side of the lake if we had to inflate them by mouth...lol
especialy at better then 10,000ft ;D

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This year I switch from the hand pump to the battery powered pump witch weighs more (takes 4 Ds) but give me more time on the water. It?s a big pain taking all the stuff you need for you float tube. Fins, waders and the tube it self weighs a lot buy it self. Here is a pic of my pack a couple years ago on my way to bush. Last year I up graded my pack and that helped out a ton and it also has a place for a camel bak.This year I am replacing my float tube with a Outcast Trinty 6lbs. Vs my tube that I have now that weighs about 12lbs. I am going to try every thing this year to save weight.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've used them...

I've used the Orvis multi-tip system for salt water fly fishing. It consists of a floating line (or running line) of about 90', then a loop to loop connection to the tip section which is another 30'. The Orvis system, like most others, has a floating, intermediate, sinking and high-density sinking tip - all using loop-to-loop connections.

I say "used them" because something large took off with the sinking tip and part of the running line in Nantucket Harbor last fall....me thinks it was a mondo striper.

The cast well once the connection is beyond the tip-top guide. And they are very versitile.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts