Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to the lake around 6:30 this morning looking to change things up a little. Put the kayak in and made my way to the other side of the lake. Picked up a couple grayling on an olive bead head hare's ear. Made my way toward the inlet casting here and there with no more strikes. Saw a few rises when the wind wasn't blowing. There was another fisherman on the lake side of the inlet so I didn't go all the way. It didn't look like he was having much luck and neither was I. Inlet area water was muddy so I turned around and went back to where I picked up the other fish. Saw some more rises so I tried a parachute adams. No luck and not enough rises to get me to try and figure out what they wanted. Went to my fall back bellyache minnow in tan. That was the ticket. Picked up around 10 - 15 more by letting the fly sink then making short jigging strips (pull/sink). Fish were 13-14". 3wt was used. No fish shallow. Most in the water column or deeper. Less action than expected. Not sure on the spawn. Froze my feet in the kayak with light socks/shoes. Should have worn wool. Still some snow around. "Stays long this high" Bear Claw

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice I usually fish it every summer have you ever iced it
A couple times a year, very early. Late ice sucks for both access, drilling, & catching. I called late ice there quits last year after drilling from the dam to the inlet & catching one fish. Caught a 34" laker out of there through the ice 3 years ago. Never caught a cutt there.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Nice fish! I love graylings - they're a hoot!

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Good stuff! Great pics! Greyling, one fish I have yet to catch. They part of the whitefish family? They look similar.

Definitely beautiful fish. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Cool fish for sure!! When I see them.. err pics posted of them(I've never caught one).. It always makes me think of those "Flying" fish that live in the ocean.

Some day I may take the time to target them, just to say I caught once :) But they are just so small.. I'd need to use an ultra ultra light setup LOL... Maybe best for me to target through the ice.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good stuff! Great pics! Greyling, one fish I have yet to catch. They part of the whitefish family? They look similar.

Definitely beautiful fish. :thumb:
Thanks. They're part of the family Salmonidae according to my Freshwater Fishes guide. The family includes salmons, chars, & whitefishes. Otherwise, they're distinct as a species but definitely resemble whitefish in some ways.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool fish for sure!! When I see them.. err pics posted of them(I've never caught one).. It always makes me think of those "Flying" fish that live in the ocean.

Some day I may take the time to target them, just to say I caught once :) But they are just so small.. I'd need to use an ultra ultra light setup LOL... Maybe best for me to target through the ice.
Same here, remind me of flying fish (from what I've seen).

They're not as small as you might think. I've caught some over 14" through the ice. The ones from this past weekend weren't quite that big but they do fight great. They put quite the bend in a 3wt and will make good runs on occasion. UL on ice is definitely fun though.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Nice post.

Like the last pic.

The colors in the the dorsal fin are very cool.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Wow still good amounts of snow there...still lots of snow on the pass?...thanks for the report...fun fish to catch...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts