Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is a fly i have seen somewhere that i think is called this name and is used at Spinny. does anyone have a clue what this is? do i have the name right? i am starting to get into tying for the spring and summer and would like any help on this. i got the name from a snobby, close mouthed web site. ???

·
Registered
935 Posts
I don't know about Chan's bowtie spinner, but I've seen another fly called a bowtie spinner.

Silver abdomen, lack thorax/head, white crystal flash wings (horizontal bowtie shape).

Base wrap on hook
tie in black tail fibers (optional) and silver tinsel at the tail - wrap forward and tie off halfway up shank.
tie in horizontal wings (like a bowtie shape), and then black dubbing around thorax (base of wings), wrapping head and tying off with black.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. anywhere there is a picture of it? i am assuming it is a nymph. almost sounds like a dry fly the way you describe the bowtie part.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ark

I don't have a picture of the bowtie but it is a chrinomidge representation. I tie something very simular instead i use CDC instead of the bowtie look. For the month of May at SPinney and or the Delanneys this is really the only fly I use. I also use a tungsten bead on mine and last year at Spinney red seemed to be the color of choice followed closely by black. In this issue of Flyfisherman there is a fly called the jujubee my fly basically resembles that other than i tie it on a size 14 or 12 scud hook and i use the bead. I've had 100 fish days at the delanneys using this fly. If you've fished Spinney and encounter large looking mosquitos thats a dead give away to throw on a bowtie. Hope that helps

Fish

1 - 4 of 4 Posts