Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at going to a 24v troller. I know how to get two batteries and how to hook them up to get 24v but how do I charge them? Do I charge the batteries seperately with a 12v charger? Can a 12v charger be used to charge them while they are still hooked together with the 24v jumper? Do I need a different 24v charger? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
you go 2 choices you can unhook them and them charge them with a 12 volt charger when you get back or youll need a 24 volt charger

·
Registered
14 Posts
  I recently went to my first 24v system also.At first I disconected the jumper everytime and charged each battery seperately.I recently purchased a on board charger [Cabelas] that stated it would charge 12/24v systems.After recieving it I found out it would basically charge 2-12v batteries,not the bank of 2 batteries in 24v setup and the starter battery.I did call to see if I needed to disconnect the jumper and the tech guy said I didn't need to.I shoulda bought the 12/24/36 system to charge all 3,but then,you probally knew that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
it is a pain but to get better life out of deep cycle batteries disconnect and trickle (2amp) charge each seperatly.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still a little confused. I know I can disconnect the 24v jumper and charge each at 2amps which is what I will probably do.
Minn Kota says on their FAQ that it is not necessary to remove the 24v jumper when using their 12v charger. The question is: can a bank of 2 batteries be charged (with the 24v jumper in place) with a 12v charger? I think the answer is no, is that correct.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i think if you had 2 seperate and isolated 12v sources you could charge 1 with each with out disconecting, but if you used a single 12 volt source and hooked it up to both batteries at the same time without disconecting them you would in effect have rthe batteries wired in parrallel and series at the same time and sparks will fly big time. you could probably get away with charging them 1 at a time

to be safe you could get one of the big perko battery switches and put that in the jumper and then you could just turn the switch instead of having to remove the jumper this would also come in handy if you ever had a short or other emergency and needed to disconect the battery in a hurry turning a switch is way quicker then undoing a cable, could save your boat or even your life

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That switch is great idea roadkill.
I still wonder why Minn Kota says you don't have to remove the jumper with their 12v charger. Also, why did the Cabelas tech tell coyote he didn't need to remove the jumper. Is it because in coyotes case he was using two seperate 12v sources? Is there something else going on?

M

·
0 Posts
I use something similar to this

Batteries are charged independently. This is an on-board charger. You can get them for anything from one to six banks. They go directly on your boat and plug into the wall. I got mine at Sportsmans.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I use the exact same setup as Mr. Ed (and, in fact, the same charger brand). I have a 24V trolling setup and the charger's wires are connected to each of the three batteries (trolling battery #1, trolling battery #2 and the starter battery) independently. I do not mess with any wires and just plug it in. This has worked great for me. I would recommend that you also install a plug outlet somewhere more convenient than where your charger might be located. For example, my charger is in the bow in a storage compartment, while the plug extends to the back of the boat like this:

This way, you can plug your charger in without removing a cover or whatever.

Good luck,

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
work2fish, with your setup you do not remove the 24v jumper? If I'm getting this, as long as the batteries are charged with independent 12v leads it is ok to not remove the jumper?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
FishEyes said:
work2fish, with your setup you do not remove the 24v jumper? If I'm getting this, as long as the batteries are charged with independent 12v leads it is ok to not remove the jumper?
That is correct, I do not mess with any wires and charging them this way has worked great for me for about 4 years. All of the wiring was actually done at Aurora Marine and so I am pretty sure it is a common setup, too.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
FishEyes said:
it is not just independent leads. they must be completely isolated sources or sparks will fly.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Here is a photo of my battery wiring for the trolling motor. Sorry if it comes out too small, but maybe you can copy and paste the link to see it in a larger size (e.g. right click in the image and use "Copy Image Location" to put the URL in a different browser window). I recall that the cables labeled "2" and "3" are coming from the onboard charger. I would give you a more detailed wiring diagram, but my boat is covered at the moment. I am guessing that there may be a more detailed diagram in the manual that comes with the battery charger?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I get it, this is a little more confusing than I would of thought. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here is a copy from Dual Pros FAQ section of their website.

2. I have a 24 volt trolling motor and my two deep cycle trolling batteries are wired in series. Do I have to remove the jumper wire between the batteries when I charge the batteries with my Dual Pro Charger?

No, there is no need to remove the series jumper because the Dual Pro consists of two totally independent chargers which share nothing in common. This allows for both batteries to independently but simultaneously charged.

They've been around a bit and should know.

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
67 Posts
One more question about a three bank on-board charger. The charger I have is used, no paperwork, no brand or identifying marks on it. There is a switch for 12V or 24V AND a wire that is marked igniton. One person told me that this allows the batts to be charged by the alternator of my big motor(?) Anyone have something similar or know anything about this. The charger does have a 110 AC power cord for plugging to charge in too.
Any help would be appreciated.

T-Fin

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
T-Fin said:
One more question about a three bank on-board charger. The charger I have is used, no paperwork, no brand or identifying marks on it. There is a switch for 12V or 24V AND a wire that is marked igniton. One person told me that this allows the batts to be charged by the alternator of my big motor(?) Anyone have something similar or know anything about this. The charger does have a 110 AC power cord for plugging to charge in too.
Any help would be appreciated.

T-Fin
see if you can find so model # or other identification on your used charger and then check the maniufacturers website you can probably download a manual for it

·
Registered
67 Posts
The only mark on it is the quality inspectors number. I have looked at BP, Gander MTN and Cabela's and can't find one that looked even close. I even asked a local boat shop and they were not sure either. Maybe I will take a pic of it and post it. Maybe a fellow member has one and can help.

Thanks for the suggestion though...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts