Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6,955 Posts
the best way to charge lead acid and agm batteries is with a properly sized and adjusted 3-stage charger (bulk absorbsion and float)

the bulk stage puts out the full amps available from the charger untill a preset voltage is reached then the absorbtion stage holds that voltage and tapers off the amps over a preset time usualy a couple hours then the float stage drops the volts back and hold it there to keep the batteries charged with out over charging.

with this type charger properly sized to you battery bank the life of your batteries can be extended greatly

i like a charger that has an output of 20-25% of the amphour capacity of the battery bank but have used ones with only 10% output with good success. i curently use a 3-stage 50 amp charger with a 400 amp hour bank (4 trojen T-105's)

a full discharge on any lead acid or agm battery is devistating most car and marine batteries dont like mor than a 10-20% discharge and high quality deep cycle (trogen T-105s and L-16s and similar) dont like more than 50% also a 50% discharge does not mean 6volts its more like 11 volts most good inverters have low voltage shut offs that kick in around 11 volts

most if not all of the "marine" batteries are just slightly heavyer duty car batteries to get good true deep cycle batteries 6 volt industrial batteries are the way to go. you dont see electric fork lifts with "marine" batteries

back to the nicads and that realm of batteries what is worse, to recharge a partialy discharged battery or to leave the same partialy discharged battery to sit for some time

· Registered
6,955 Posts
so with the nihm you would recharge right after use even if they were not fully discharged and you wouldnt let the sit with a partial charge? did i get that right?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.