Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure some of you remember Charlie Meyers, who was the outdoor writer for the Denver Post for many years and probably since dirt was invented.

I want to relate a fishing story he wrote about sometime in the late 80s. It was about a brown trout of about 23" he caught on hardware in a small lake not far from Denver. The story included a photo of this brown. In the article, Charlie did not reveal the name or location of the lake but he gave some clues. For example, he said you have probably driven by it many times and never gave a second thought and, you could probably catch an 18 wheeler on a back cast.

I thought it was unusual he didn't reveal the name of the lake because that's what he usually did and that always caused the lunker hunters, by the hordes, to head for his latest hot spot.

It took me a few years to determine the lake but I finally got it.

Do any of you know where this is?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dallas,

I kept that article for many years and finally gave it to a good friend, last year. He is looking for the story now. If he finds it, he will send a copy then I will post so you can read.

I will tell you the photo of him was a close up, which blocked out any clues in the background.

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
I vaguely remember that story...was it the Curtain Ponds (Copper Ponds)?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Homeboy and Zman,

You nailed it. I believe he referred to it as the Officer's Gulch Ponds.

dallasdb, we're still looking for the article.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dallas, my friend is still looking for the article. He's an information junkie, like, me so I doubt he tossed it. I too searched the Denver Post but became discouraged.

In my original thread, I said I was surprised he didn't give the name of the location because finding the latest hot spots and writing about them was one thing he did often. When he did, there would be a rush of Yuppies, and others, to that location. I remember when he wrote about the big rainbows anglers were catching in the Blue River directly below the dam down to the outlet stores, the local Summit County fly shop guides and others would exercise "squatter's rights" and occupy all the good places. Stories were it was so crowded, on weekend days, you had to take your own rock to stand on. I've never been a lunker hunter so I never hit the latest Meyer's hot spots, including below Dillon Dam.

The same thing happened with the hogs being caught below Taylor Dam and in the "bend pool" below Reudi Dam and we can probably throw in the Dream Stream.

The former owner of the Colorado angler, Rap Sapp, told me Charlie would stop by the store for the latest hot spot information. Ray said he would never give him any information because it caused a "gold rush" to that location. Ray is the person who told me Charlie's article was about the Officer's Gulch location.

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
Way back in the early '90s He wrote an article about a laker lake in the flattops that he rode horseback into. I found and fished several in the flattops that had macs but not sure if it was the same one. I lost the article with pics so I have nothing to compare-

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I could see how putting spots on blast would really hurt the local guides and the people that put in the time to find those spots.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Slayerfish,

I imagine giving the latest hot spot in an area like the Flattops would not create the "gold rush" effect simply because it would be so remote.

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
Bucksnort,

Is Ray and Rhonda still around?...I'd bump into him and Jim I think it was Jim out at Aurora Res...they'd be tearing up the eyes in 18 to 20 feet of water with sink tips and wooly buggers...but I havent bumped into Ray at Atown in a couple of years...hope he is doing ok...used to live about a mile from Colorado Angler...they taught me me to tie flies...great people!...

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
Homeboy and Zman,

You nailed it. I believe he referred to it as the Officer's Gulch Ponds.

dallasdb, we're still looking for the article.
I always knew them as the Copper Ponds...on Google maps it has the Curtain Ponds...hadnt heard them called that before...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
zman,

I may have seen Ray at one of the Fly Fishing Shows in January but I've not seen Rhonda since the store closed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts