Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Chatfield 03/07/2006 w/pic

3K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  Big_Blue 
#1 ·
Got to Chafield around 4:30pm and fished till dusk around 6:30pm with Uncle and caught 5 (see the picture of the second biggest fish of the day below). I caught and released (sort of  ;) )  the biggest trout of the day..... After the initial strike the fight was on after on minute this hog leg of a trout lept into the air and to my astonishment it was still attached to a bright orange stringer. After fighting with this big fat Rainbow for about 10 minutes and running up and down the bank and into the water several times this big rainbow was tiring. I thought I had won this battle when after giving the slightest of tugs my hook came loose. Disappointment turned quickly to amazement when I noticed the back of this 25+ inch trout humping out of the water coming downstream towards me like a scene out of jaws. Out of reaction I noticed the stringer passing me an arms length away so I reached down to grab it. When I did I slipped and almost wiped out in the water. I had only one last chance so I swung my foot to try to step on the stringer and to my suprise I stepped on the string. This big ol' trout would not go that easy so he started swiming even more aggressively and in an instant the stringer was gone and so was this huge fish. That is what you call catch and release only wish I could have gotten that stringer out first! After this ordeal I was not even mad or disappointed, to be honest it was sort of fun, however my mind kept on thinking about that poor fisherman before me who had caught this "Walter Sized" Rainbow  and placed him on his stringer only to look down and see it gone like a flash. All in all good day to be out great weather and great time, sorry for the long report however I thought you guys might get a grin after hearing this story.

TH

See less See more
#8 ·
That's a HOG! Nice ! I was out there yesterday in the boat. No luck whatsoever. Real windy on the lake. We fished from about 9am-12pm and then drove over to the inlet. Saw a guy leaving with two four-pounders in a bucket. Spotted a good number of real big trout under the bridge all about 3-5 lbs but only my buddy was able to get one to bite and it straightened out a Kastmaster hook and got off. Nice day though!

#11 ·
Boy, now that is a nice looking Brown!!
Last summer, the wife and I caught some mighty nice Browns and Bows in the "No Wake" area in around 45 feet of water. One of the Browns was 19" and Ken put a photo of it in the Forum for me. Like your Brown, this 19" one gave me some "fight", but I pulled it in (with some help from the wife).
Chatfield does have some nice Browns and Bows in it.
Cody (cowboyfisherman)

#15 ·
My uncle (who was holding the trout in the above pic) caught a slightly longer and bigger one the last time out. The trout are running and the crowds and cars in the parking lots are proving it. The best success has been to walk farther from the parking lot than anyone else and try spots and runs no one else would. (Michael) Mustang try flyfishing the river using smaller copper johns or egg patterns Good Luck let me know how you do.  Eric (fishing303) get back from Texas soon or we while miss the spring bite at you know where ;) Jeremy (Irishman) and maestasj we were fishing the inlet. Cody hope the leg / hip is feeling better and hope to see you out at Chatfield sometime, not many people target the trout like you in Chatfield I know you know all those honey holes after many hours on the lake. We heard Pheasant Tails also working well along with any type of bait. Fish or Die I sure hope he made it to the lake and maybe someone from this forum can catch him soon. Oh ya Hook-n-Line this uncle in the picture is a Bronco fan too. snap~  8)

TH  

#23 ·
fish or die said:
What were you catching them on if you dont mind me asking ?
Effective Lures: Rappalas, Kastmasters, & Rooster Tails
Effective Flies: Bead Headed San Juan Worms, Copper Johns, & Friend Hade Some Top Action With Blue Wing Olives
Effective Bait: Salmon Eggs & Worms

I went there yesterday and caught only one 17 incher about 1 mile upstream from the parking lot. CFS seemed to be slower than just 5 days ago. Met forum member SiliconBoy who almost got a 17 incher to bite his spinner under the bridge. Nice guy and great to meet new fellow forum members. Friend "Tim" had no luck on San Juan Worm. Overall slow morning.

TH

#25 ·
Son of Dan and I went out late yesterday (Saturday) afternoon. Worked the river from the bridge down towards the lake. Saw some nice fish. Son of Dan foul-hooked a big rainbow in the 20 inch range. It was a heck of a time getting it on the shore since it was hooked midway between tail and head. Really tough to fight since he could not turn the head and was using light line.

Nothing else hooked in any way. Went and tried Kingfisher also, lots of fish rising, think they might have been shad hard to see them. Got really cold windy and snowy. Felt half frozen when we left.

Dan

#26 ·
Went out Saturday after noon with my son fish just north of the bridge had some chasers but no takers. I was using kastmasters, rooster tails, lil cleos, worms, salmon eggs, and powerbait orange and like i said they followed the lures but didnt bite.....So far best fishing ..hit the ponds off c470 hit #4 didnt get even a snag  :-\.

P.S. I was the guy with the blue durango if I talked to you, son had a broncos coat on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.