Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  On Saturday I fished Chatfield for Walleye, Smallmouth and Trout, and ended up with one fat 18in Walleye.  The wind was blowing most of the day, and it started raining around 6pm.  The water temperature was between 45 and 46 degrees.

I started fishing from my boat at noon.  I was using six rods on which I rotated a Husky Jerk, jig and grub, Shad Rap, and a Panther Martin.  I occasionally worked in a Sinko, Rat-L-Trap, Pistol Pete, Fat Free Shad, and a drop shot rig.

I tried Massey Draw, Plum Creek, a drop off across from the Swim Beach, and Heron Rookery.  At 4pm I caught my first decent fish of the season near Heron Rookery on a Fire Tiger Husky Jerk. I was off the lake by 6pm.  I’ll try Chatfield again next weekend.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
You weren't using six rods at once were you? Just tryin' to clear things up. That is a nice walleye!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
  Sometimes I use two at once when I’m drop shoting and jigging or when I have two drop shot rigs going.  I find it difficult to manage two rods at a time, let alone six.  When trolling (which I rarely do from my boat) I only use two rods.

I’m relatively new to walleye fishing, and have adopted the shotgun approach to catching walleye.  I keep trying new lures, new techniques, and new types of structure until I catch something.  If I didn’t take several rods with me, I’d be retying ever few minutes.  I keep track of what works and what doesn’t for each situation, and eventually I’ll have confidence in a handful of lures and a reduced number of rods.  Traditionally I’m a Largemouth Bass fisherman and I only use three rods when fishing for bass, all spooled with different line weights.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice Walleye!!
We went to Chatfield on Saturday morning also, but not to fish. We wanted to get our boat in the water for the first time this year and check for any hose leaks in the engine area. It started to look like rain around noon, so we took off. The next nice Saturday or Sunday we have, we will be back out there.........but this time with the fishing stuff. Bought some new lures at that Bass Pro Fishing Classic Sale at Outdoor World and can't wait to try them out.
Cody (cowboyfisherman)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts