Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  On Saturday I fished Chatfield for Walleye and Smallmouth, and ended up with a 15lb carp.  The weather was nice for boating, but a little too calm and sunny for fishing.  The water temperature was between 48 and 50 degrees.

I started fishing from my boat at 2pm.  I was using six rods on which I rotated a Husky Jerk, jig and grub, Shad Rap, Rat-L-Trap, and a Sinko.

I fished mostly along the old river channel throwing jigs and Rat-L-Traps in deep water and Husky Jerks, Shad Raps, and Sinkos in shallow water.  Around 6pm I caught a 15lb carp on a jig and grub.  I fought the carp for over ten minutes before landing it.  I stopped fishing after I released the carp.  I’ll try Chatfield again next weekend.

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
nice sized fish!.....i was fishing the northwest ramps about 2 years ago using a jig and caught about the same thing...on 6lb test those things are exciting!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was using 6lb test, and every time I tried to net it, it would run under the boat and towards the trolling motor. For a while there, I wasn’t sure I was going to land it. It was stripping drag like crazy. Carp are a fun fish to catch, and I plan on targeting them a little later in the year. Most likely with a little heavier tackle than I was using today.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I can only imagine the fight that fish gave you. You did an excellent job to be able to bring it to the
net on 6lb test line.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I hit one last year like that just outiside the south ramp cove. I was spoon a drop-off when I snagged it.

I thought I had a huge 'eye for a while...it was a rush. Glad you had a fun trip.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Thats why I love carp. Name one other fish in Colorado that is that ez to catch and takes over 10min to land with long hard runs.

Nice job!

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts