Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Joe and I tried a return engagement on Chatty...the cold front had definately went through so I didnt expect much...we fished for a little over two hours...me with a Rapala...Joe deadsticked a leech...and casted a Rapala on the other pole...wind out of the north...I caught 4 Walleyes which wasnt as good as the day before but they were bigger on average...lengths were 18 inches, 19 inches, 19.5 inches, and a 21 inch fatboy that had more chins than me!...those fish are so fat...I definately need to see what a 30 inch fish looks like out of there...it would be a double decker bus...I went to a larger crank to experiment...not as many fish but bigger fish...probably just a one night aberation...oh well...dont care...Chatty has skunked me too many times in the last six months...it took Joe a bit to come up with a retrieve that worked on the Rapala (despite my expert tuteledge <rolls eyes while snickering>...he did manage a 17 incher and was pretty happy with that...Rapalas are a new critter to him and some of us have been using them longer than he has been alive...he also had a couple of other hits on the Rapala that he missed and two on the leeches...I missed one...not as much action but still good for what we have seen on Chatty in recent months...except for some of the guys for the Colorado Walleye Association that know what they are doing and have caught them consistently...you know who you are...some one made the interesting point (it was Dan) that the stomach was empty on the one he caught...the ones I cleaned were that way too...I think they have eaten all the small shad and the rest are now a foot long or better...these fish are actively cruising and looking for food...they have hit hard...the water temp is coming up and their metabolisms are rising...limited food and rising metabolism means good fishing until the latest hatch of shadlings in the summer...pretty encouraging I think...so Chatty isnt dead...not even close...

Oh and I was too tired to take pictures...sorry...I will have Joe snap a picture of a beer battered fillet and post it...

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But you are one of my favorite people...even though my mother is behind on the monthly friendship deposit checks!...great now Dan is going to want to get paid too...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
zman
What time were you out there? I fished from 8 - 12:30 pm and got a skunk :(. I wasn't even marking many fish and I tried all different depths. I was using a worm harness and a white Gulp minnow.
Good job.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
zman said:
But you are one of my favorite people...even though my mother is behind on the monthly friendship deposit checks!...great now Dan is going to want to get paid too...
You can pay me with say a pound of leeches!

I am always suspicious when you don't post pictures, but since you had Joe with you and he is above reproach I will believe you this time.

Dan

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I was out there last night out at King Fisher.  Boy was I at the wrong place evidently.  Still a lot of shad down there, but in the two hours I was there I only caught one lil rainbow on a worm.  A few more strikes, but absolutely nothing on my Rapalas.  Zman must have some agreement with those pesky w-eyes.  Heres my "fat boy". 

And no, thats not an optical illusion, my hand is down right next to the fish.  You can see the worm it bit on, it's almost as big as he was! 

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was out from 2:30 - 6:00 I got nothing. Fished the dam, the beach, shalow and deep, worms and leaches, nothing what is the key to those eyes. ???

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Zman,

Joe here, wanted to let you I picked up a case of cold corona and some beer batter for the Eye's tonight.

7:30 work for you and the wife ?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
HookNLine said:
zman mark an x where u fished at dude lol. U guys really get pounds of leechs? How do u guys keep them alive?
Once a day you stick you arm in tank for an hour................... :D

Dan

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pesca
Master,
What time were you fishing?
Master?...now that's hilarious (insert favorite blind squirrel nuts comment)...and save the hero worship for Slayer...and fishing was done in the middle of the night...

Dan
Joe with you and he is above reproach I will believe you this time.
Joe is above reproach?...ask Ken about the saintly Joe...holy CripeZ!

Teacher
Hey Zman...shore or boat? Sounds like great fishin'!
...shore...I havent had time to get my boat out yet...which is a whole nother sad story...I have caught more and bigger eyes from shore...a boat just makes it easier...and if my fat arse can get around...just about anybody elses can too...I went to a walleye seminar by one of the pros...he jig fishes exclusively...catches eyes all summer long no deeper than 10 feet at <drum roll> Chatfield...they live there...there is food there...sooner or later they will be there...

Fiend
Zman must have some agreement with those pesky w-eyes.  Heres my "fat boy".
...can you say that here?...YikeZ!!...

maestasj
hey Zman where you fishin at ? Some help please ....
...sorry dont draw maps/paint rocks or give general locations...if I bump into you out there I will be glad to help...but I aint telling 750 of my closest friends that are reading which rock I was standing on...you gotta make some educated guesses and put some time in...I cant short cut that for you...and I know that is going to piss a bunch of you off...but oh well...

PuebloGoldenWiperMan (Joe)
Joe here, wanted to let you I picked up a case of cold corona and some beer batter for the Eye's tonight
...beer?...Yuck...inspite of this finely chiseled physique it wasnt beer induced...I'd like to go tonight but I think this cold front is going to kill the bite for a few days...I have been wrong before...ok...every other time I have been wrong...

HooknLine
zman mark an x where u fished at dude lol. U guys really get pounds of leechs? How do u guys keep them alive?
...yeppers I got two pounds...I keep them in a garage fridge and change the water every 4 days or when it gets cloudy...also make sure you pick out any that die...there wont be many if you change the water often enough...buy larges and not jumbos (they will be bigger than any you get here), you get more per pound and they will stay alive all summer...half the price of the bait store...and you dont run out...I have kept them from May until September...and no I dont feed them...I think the cold water in the fridge slows their metabolism...here is the link to Land O Lakes bait...they were most helpful...it was the first time I used them and they were big and squirmy...if you have other questions PM me...

http://www.lolbait.com/

I hope I can post that and Ken wont be mad...dont need him in a hissy fit before the Icebreaker...<snicker>...might get him riled for his showdown with d'Wayne...

Dan
Once a day you stick you arm in tank for an hour
...what is it with your blood sacrifices?...first Harriman...now a leech voodoo doll/meals on wheels victim?...actually these are not blood sucking leeches...so dont anybody freak out...at least there is no worm guts with them...and they dont need an air pump...the best bait ever developed by the big guy!...no not you Ken...

I hope that covers it...I dont type this much at work...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Me and my buddy got totally skunked(dam, king fisher, few other spots). I can't seem to find any fish at all in that lake; or atleast walleyes. Some location and tackle help would be appreciated

·
Registered
198 Posts
HookNLine said:
yep, LEECHES. about to go pick up my 2 lbs from the distributor. should last me about...if i'm lucky...2 maybe 3 weeks?! leeches out fish crawlers and are just as easy to care for as worms. minnows are tempermental at best and use them for tippin a jig.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
In order to be kind and generous to everyone I won't quote the actual post, (it is very long winded) But if any one wonders what post I am referring to its this one.

Re: Chatfield 05/03/06
« Reply #13 on: In this thread.

Someone is a little long winded...................and has way too much time on his hands, why don't you get off the computer and clean out your garage? ::)

Dan

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I cant irritate you in the garage...what fun would that be?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts