Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished CF today. Caught between 15-20 Walleye. 3 Were keepers. Caught all but 3 on jigs tipped w/ worms. Was fishing the humps out from the marina. Also caught 6 Small Mouths On minnows w/ a bobber. All small in size. Fishing was great till the sun came out.

Sorry about the pics, its hard to take pictureswhen your by yourself.

-Jay

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
LoL, The CF stickers are on my car and the motor on the boat :) Dont worry man, this is the only site ill ever need, its like family!!! Still waiting for the get-to-gether

I didn't want to drive to gander so I went to Country Valley to get some leeches but they were all sold out. The guy said that they sold 10lbs of leeches in 1 week, A store record.

-Jay

·
Registered
270 Posts
Glad to see the lake is fishing well nice job.

It was a good night at CF. Fished from 7:30 to 8:45. Didn't feel like messin with bait trolled small crank baits and caught 2 trout by the weed line between the jetski beach and bouy 4. Trolled from the bridge area towards the handicap pier and past into the entrance to the marina and caught 5 smalleyes no keepers. Everyone I talked to when launching caught some fish. Either Bass walleye or trout. Good week to hit CF.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Was out on Chatfield also last night got on around 5-9pm we lost track but landed about a 100 smallies between the 3 of us. Only one keeper about 16" another 10 or so in that 12-14" range and a ton smaller fish. I'm guessing a week to 10 days the fish will be up on the beds and the fishing will get incredible. I had fun last night and actually there wasnt much of anyone out there maybe 7-8 other boats and a ton of sail boats.

Fish

·
Registered
193 Posts
Along the dam and east of Massey Draw. Basically using a chartuese spinner bait or a tube jig. The fish seemed to be holding in about 8 feet of water atleast the bigger ones were.
Did squeeze one walleye out of the rocks as well bout 16"

Fish

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hmmm...I was out last night and did not catch anything...still was a beautiful evening on the lake!
left_turn56

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Hit Chatfield this am, got there at "O'dark-thirty" (5:30). Launched at the marina and headed towards the handicap pier. Just as I crossed by the rocky point (depth quickly went form 15 to 10) between the marina and pier, I marked tons of fish. Hit a 15 or so inch smallie on a shad rap lost it as I was lifting it over the side of the boat. Turned around and ran straight back on my track. Walleye about 16 inches took a crawler on a harness. Thought I had hit pay dirt. 2 fish with in 5 minutes, 15 minutes after hitting the water! Boom, don't know what happened the fish disappeared, I searched all over for more biters. Marked tons of fish, saw rises but nothing else. :'( Left just before 9 to take my wife to doctor.

Temp was 63 degrees over there.
Wind was strong enough to push a 1 mph drift.
Water was clear probably 4-5 feet,

Still a great morning.

Peace and quiet!

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
NICE!!

I'm guessin the lake is gettin down and dirty!! Walleyes are in party mood, eh? What am I doing pondering at work about where to fish tomorrow morning?! I should head out there!!

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Wow Jay that was awesome!

It ought to be turned to a froth this weekend...oh well may walk the shoreline of the bluffs in the dark...and see what is up close and ambushing prey...

·
Registered
307 Posts
From your past experience, would going out to Chatfield, late afternoon and evening, be a stupid thing to do this weekend? Also do you think the increased summer traffic on the lake, other than being a pain in the butt, actually ruins the fishing? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im not sure but ill be out there Sunday night. Hopefully all the jerk offs are off the water by than.

I was always told that night fishing on the night of a bust day I best cause the fish wait till all the boats leave the water to start feeding. Not sure if this is true but it makes sense.

-Jay

·
Registered
307 Posts
Jay, what do use at night? Skitterpops or other surface lures or do baits and other deeper lures work too? I'd like to fish after dark but without a lot of light the fish must have trouble seeing what they have been offered. Thanks

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We're going to throw eveything at them and see what they want. I know walleye bite best in low light conditions(night) so maybe some bright colored jigs or some cranks. Ill let you know on Monday. :) :)

-Jay

1 - 17 of 17 Posts