Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to head over to Chatfield after the cold front (or whatever that was) went through. Fished for about 45 minutes near the north boat ramps, and broke off 2 lures on the rocks before my hands froze.

Decided to drive up to the top of the dam to check river flow, since it has been zero the last 3 times I was there. Looked like the were letting some through, so I went on down. The river has a nice low flow going.

Tied on a black and gold PM and hit the little pool right below the small chute structure out from the first parking lot. After about 20 minutes, got a nice 14" bobo.

Got her home and started cleaning, and found her full of eggs. I looked up trout caviar online, and I don't have the patience to clean and separate individual eggs. Has anyone ever done that? So tonight the cats get caviar (unprepared).

JW

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
yes, I have eaten trout eggs. No, I would not say I enjoyed them.

I ate some freshie sockeye eggs this summer. THOSE on the other hand were most toothsome, as was the many pounds of raw sockeye I ate and tried to force on anyone walking by.

·
Registered
291 Posts
That is a very lucky cat. I pay top dollar as a chef to have fresh Trout roe. The process to clean it and enjoy it is actually really easy. Next time let me know and we can do a deal ;)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Not very different but I brine the eggs first and then seperate them from the membranes. Brining the eggs hardens them and it is much easier to clean them from the membrane. The cleaning of the membrane seems harder than it is, this is a super quick process.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok.. I finally pulled the cleaned fish out of the fridge and decided to fillet it for fillets with lemon/butter/caper sauce.. Filleting a 13-14" trout with 10 thumbs doesn't leave much meat..... :(

JW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts