Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit Chatfield Friday night after work...got there about 4:30...PuebloWiperMan (Joe) was already there (we have to change his handle to PuebloGoldenWiperMan due the enormous wiper he caught
Thanksgiving weekend at Pueblo on a 6 inch sucker...or thought he caught...after a long and ardous fight...yep you guessed it...it was about a 10 to 15 pound carp...yeppers...PuebloGoldenWiperMan...that's what he goes by now...<snicker>)...well back to Chatfield...we targeted the two boat ramp coves with huge shad die off...thought we might be able to mix cranks/jigs in on one rod...and a large shiner on a second...we had two bites at the south boat ramp cove in fishing it until about 8pm...missed them both...nothing on lures though...fished the north boat ramp in with similiar tactics above until about 9:30 pm...we got one stocker trout...Chatfield with all the shad is really tough...I have gotten into eyes walking the shorelines after dark out there in previous years...cant buy a fish this year...one boat out there until about 8pm but they came off the north ramp and I didnt get to talk to them...we were popsicles when we were done...guess I keep banging my head on the rocks because it feels so good when I stop...lol...

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan

I only saw a few dead...I had heard rumors of a die off as they tried to find warmth in the two boat coves...didnt have my boat so I dont know the temp...the last I heard was 39 degrees on Thursday...bet the coves ice this week...I am going to go through Lund Post Partem...oh well...here I come Pueblo...

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
zman said:
Chatfield with all the shad is really tough

Man I sure hope it doesnt turn into another Cherry Creek due to all the shad. Could this be part of some master plan?

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
zman said:
Chatfield with all the shad is really tough

Man I sure hope it doesnt turn into another Cherry Creek due to all the shad. Could this be part of some master plan?

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
Thanks Jay!

Just when I was starting to get in a good mood and into the Holiday spirit........I thought the Scrooge in me would take a year off but now........That is a very depressing thought, turning Chatfield into an another CC.  Thanks Jay, Thanks alot.........I think I will go hang out with Zman, misery enjoys company.

:-\ :'(

Dan

·
Registered
307 Posts
Would you like to share your thoughts on Cherry Creek, I'm wondering what you think is wrong or has "happened" there. Thanks

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
FishEyes said:
Would you like to share your thoughts on Cherry Creek, I'm wondering what you think is wrong or has "happened" there. Thanks

There are tons of walleye there! I think you just have to compete with to many shad! You also increase your odds there if you fish at night.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
The problem with Cherry Creek is we know there are great fish in there. It is a really tough nut to crack. It does have an abundance of gizzard shad which means lots of forage fish for your lure or bait to get lost in. Which means its tougher to catch fish.

This summer the DOW netted several hundred gizzard shad at CC and put them in Chatfield. The idea is to increase the forage base and then increase the overall size of the walleye and bass and cut down the number of skinny fish.

I think the concern that a lot of folks (including me) who fish Chatfield on a regular basis (for walleye and/or bass) is that the level of success will decrease at Chatfield due to the shad. (level of success being quantity over quality)

Personally, and I think alot of folks will agree with me. I would be happy to catch 1/2 or 1/4 as many walleye as I have as long as they are quality fish. (Quality versus Quantity) We caught 3 or 4 legal sized walleye at Chatfield this past year. I caught dozens of 17 inch walleye.

So it comes down to this. CC is a very tough lake to fish successfully. Especially for walleye. (when you do catch a walleye it is more likely to be quality, But even very good and experienced walleye fisherman have been very frustrated by the infrequency of caught walleye at CC) other species are not so tough, such as crappie, catfish and carp. But if you are targeting walleye. Be prepared to fish it hard, fish it long and try different tactics to improve your chances of success.

Dan

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
FishEyes said:
do those shad reproduce

Like rabbits on extacy!!!!

A few years ago a buddy and I were crusing @ night at CC and had our q-beam shining in front of the boat and I kid you not there were millions of shad breaking the surface. Many over 6in and crashing into the boat. Sounded like we were in a hail storm. The good thing is if you ever run out of bait you can get a spot light and net and troll with your net in the water and get 100's of shad. Ive caught shad over 10in at CC.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
FishEyes said:
Dan, do those shad reproduce or are they something added to the lake each year by the DOW to feed the fish??
The thing about shad is they have a very high winter mortality, I believe greater than 95%. Now that the water has frozen the remaining shad should be decreasing in number. They also grow very quickly. Many of this years crop of shad are getting to a size that is too large for many of the smaller walleye and bass to eat. Alot of them are now the size of palm sized bluegill or larger.

When they were stocked this summer they were pre-spawn It was unbelievable the number and the size of the schools of shad we saw this late summer and fall.

There were some reports of the walleye bite picking up before the freeze. All the reports reported very fat walleye, not a lot legal length yet but the ones caught were definitely well fed. Hopefully this will translate into a higher quality catch.

Dan

·
Registered
935 Posts
So, your choice appears to be: quantity with low quality, or quality with less frequency (I say less frequency, because there may be more fish - just caught less often, right?). Neither sounds very appealing to me. I've wasted lots of time at Boyd lake trying to catch keeper walleye, and end up with nothing but 12" dinks - nice pictures of other dudes with big'uns, at the marina store, though.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
The last 2 years the option has been pretty much lots of 17.9 inch walleye, with few over 18. The over 18's were frequently on the thin side also.

I have caught probably a couple of hundred walleye in the last 2 years there and kept maybe 1 out of 40. We returned probably half the keeper size fish because they looked like they were starved.

It would be great to have a Lake Erie or a Lake Oahe type of walleye fishery here but realistically the fish get tons of pressure on the front range and become pretty educated. The fish that are larger have been caught and released several times or jsut don't fall for what we offer them.

So for Walleye fishing in the metro area (where I do 90 % of my fishing) I would be very pleased with catching 4 or 5 fish a day instead of 20 and having 1 or 2 of them be them be a fat 20+ inches.

So, yes I would accept less quantity with higher quality.

Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts