Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out to chatfield today. fished yellow and green cranks in the outlet from 9 til 11, no hits. moved over to the dam and threw some plastics from 11-1,  caught nothing but rocks. went to the south ponds and let some rainbow powerbait float 2ft off the bottom for an hour or so, nothing. colder weather started to move in. went to the river by the bridge and tossed around a spinner for a couple of hours. hooked four trout only pulled two out though. one about 10-12" the other a fat 14-16". was probably between 2 and 3 that they were hitting. got pretty cold so I packed it up at about four and went home. when i was pulling in the second trout a bigger trout followed it to shore and just sat there while I took out the hook and then went back out with the fish when I released it. I wouldn't be suprised if it was over 20" by then it felt like my fingers were going to fall off so i called it a day.   

·
Registered
75 Posts
You did better than I did at the inlet. Thought the rainbows might run early this year and caught none in 2.5 hours at the bridge area/inlet. I didn't even see any fish. Mostly ice from the the big hole below the bridge to the lake. This was about 10 days ago. Sounds like the run may be starting now. Your comment about nothing but rocks is the same thing that happens to me off the dam. Hard enough to stay out of them in a boat. Thanks for the report. I'll try the inlet after this cold front.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've never been able to figure that dam thing out. i don't know if i pick the wrong dam spots or what but i've never caught a dam thing off the dam. maybe it would help if i had a dam boat instead of dam fishing from the dam shore. if anybody has any dam pointers let me know cause i'm dam clueless.

·
Registered
114 Posts
ive had awesome luck off the dam for smallmouth. but i have lost alot of lures. i usually use sinko plastic worms and fish on the other side of that big cement drain thing. i usually wear waders and walk out a little bit. ill post a pic it might help you for location

B

·
0 Posts
Has anybody seen any fish moving up the river? Normal that first hole past the bridge starts to get fishy before the rest of the river.

B

·
0 Posts
I don't exactly know what that cement thing is, but I have caught quite a few fish out of there on WD-40,RS2, and other teenies. I just got off the phone with someone who just passed by the lake and it is completely froze up again. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts