Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit Chatfield Monday with a couple buddies. Parked at catfish flats and headed out. Fished one of the old gravel beds in about 30 ft of water. Started marking fish right away on the vex. Most fish were suspended between 10 and 20 ft. Cold morning but warmed up nicely and ended up being a beautiful day. All fish were caught on minnows deadsticking. Our group ended up with 8 for the day all trout and we probably missed as many as we caught. Talked to a really nice guy in the parking lot who said he had caught 14 trout using a small jig and half a mealworm. If you see this, thanks for the info and I will definately be looking for those jigs.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I was out there too, but I was by massey draw. Fished 15 fow caught some healthy trout 15-16" on minnows 6" off the bottom. Makes sense if you were fishing 30fow and they were suspended between 10 and 20fow.

Man what a beautiful day, got the raccoon eyes sunburn to prove it. 8) :-[

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ice,

Have you seen a lot of trout suspended like that over deep water at Chatfield? Most of the fish I am spotting and catching are keeping fairly close to the bottom in 7-15 fow...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was my first time on chatfield this year, but from reading the other reports that seems to be the majic depth no matter how deep of water your in. By the way if you guys go out, there is quite a bit of snow on the ice. Makes for kind of a hard pull with the sleds especially as it melts and gets slushy.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
icedummy2 said:
That was my first time on chatfield this year, but from reading the other reports that seems to be the majic depth no matter how deep of water your in. By the way if you guys go out, there is quite a bit of snow on the ice. Makes for kind of a hard pull with the sleds especially as it melts and gets slushy.
Thats for sure, the trip back to the truck (uphill) was a good cardio workout!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts