Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boat fished 10 to 3. Tried bottom bouncing crawlers, some jigging, and then long line trolling spinners and crankbait. Not a bite. Circled the res a few times but didn't mark hardly any fish except for tons of baitfish. It was pretty windy, hard to stay in one place for long. Talked to one other boat fisherman who said he was finding fish near the the west bank but they wouldn't bite. Anybody have a better Chatfield report for today?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I fished it from about 3 till 430. Just enough time to make a a single run with the wind to my back from just north of the swim beach to the north Boat ramp.

I marked tons of fish just north of the swim beach from 14-20 feet of water. Both fish of size and bait fish. I also tried various things to entice them, lures, bait, spinners etc. No luck.

Water Color/Clarity: off color, with about 3 feet of clarity
Temp: 42 in the boat cove, 39-40 in main body of lake.

Dan

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anybody help me with when the prespawn and spawn periods are for walleye at Chatfield? (Either calendar or water temperature)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Isn't it around mid April that they shut down fishing around the dyke to collect spawners? I think it has more to do with water temperature than it does dates.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Fish Eyes...the DOW normally closes the dam at Chatfield (rip rap) from March 15th through April 15 for spawn taking...I had always heard that 45 degrees was the majic number for the spawn and it gets better as it approaches 50 degrees...here is a link...

http://marc.poirier.com/2005/02/walleye-spawning-behavior.htm

L

·
0 Posts
My experience this early for 'eyes is slow presentations and slow fishing. But when you do catch one, it's usually good size. My biggest 'eyes are alway caught prespawn through postspawn. Not many people are willing to go out at night in March, just the insane.

I'll be out this week, both during the day and a night or two.

·
Registered
294 Posts
laker taker said:
My experience this early for 'eyes is slow presentations and slow fishing. But when you do catch one, it's usually good size. My biggest 'eyes are alway caught prespawn through postspawn. Not many people are willing to go out at night in March, just the insane.

I'll be out this week, both during the day and a night or two.
I fish Yamamoto tails on a jig head for eyes at chatfield. I am insane and will be fishing some nights as well. What do you use at night?

L

·
0 Posts
Smithwick rouges in in glow colors. I've had good luck on anything that glows.

·
Registered
391 Posts
How late do you fish?I was on the dam from 6 to 8pm last night and I only managed to snag a couple of shad(4inches btw).I was throwing small rat-l-traps and floating rapalas and shallow shad raps.How far down the dam should i go?I fished to about 100 yards past the tower.Pretty expensive fishing rocks at night imo,but if i can catch a big one i guess its worth it!

lyn

L

·
0 Posts
I usually fish till midnight. I'm on my way there now, I'll post what I find on the reports page. I'm not convinced the rip rap is the place to fish for the eyes yet. I'll be checking shallower/warmer water first.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Fished Chatfield from about noon til 4:30 on Sat. I used my canoe with the outriggers and electric motor, put in at the parking lot close to the Platte River bridge, across from the ponds.

Marked lots of fish and bait in the arm and on down to the main lake. Where the arm enters the main lake, the channel narrows down and depth goes from about 20' to 2' in just a couple of yards. There was a huge stack of fish there and I hooked two big carp in the dorsal fin area, on a kastmaster of all things. Maybe that's what they all were, don't know. When you hook them in the back it's like catching a 10 pound Coho. Out in the lake, close to Fox Run, I got one little rainbow, about 10". Very windy and choppy and so I didn't stay out there long. Used Thomas buoyant, kastmaster and a Rapala DT 6. Had hits on all, but few and far between.

L

·
0 Posts
Fished about 4 hours. Had some follows on boot-tail swim jigs. Had a slip bobber rig out, had one take, no hook-up. We did see some fish on the aqua-vu camera in the rip rap, couldn't tell what they were though. I saw lots of impatient fishermen who would try a spot for 5 minutes and leave. No one I talked to or heard talking had any luck today. The fish are there, not super active. I'll be going out to fish some nights soon for eyes and maybe target trout during the day.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LakerTaker, thanks for the report, let us know how you do at night. Can you tell me what a "boot-tail swim jig" is next time you post?

L

·
0 Posts
yep, that's it. I forgot to mention we did a little trolling for eye's with no luck also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts