Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems like every year for the last 3-4 years the early spring night fishing has gotten more & more crowded. No lines tangled & no planers crossed so I can't complain too much. Last night was the busiest I've seen. It didn't bother me. Everyone seemed to go with the flow pretty good. I do wonder why the trolling traffic has blown up so much in just a few years. Is it the teaching from guided trips, the internet, or something else. Most boats were gone by 9 because the bite was so slow. We left a little before 11, just before the wind kicked up again. Here are my two boys ( 4 & 6). They make great fishing buddies. Catching one dink walleye beats going to see the ballet with my wife & daughter, even in this trolling zoo. I hope to have a good shore report soon!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
nice outing, heater in boat bad bad idea IMHO, put some hot hands in their pocket and gloves, death by fire in the middle of a lake not a good way to go out.....yup the power of the internet and guides showing techniques to everybody with a dollar to fill thier pockets is upping the traffic everywhere.....enjoy the walleye dinner....

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
nice outing, heater in boat bad bad idea IMHO, put some hot hands in their pocket and gloves, death by fire in the middle of a lake not a good way to go out.....yup the power of the internet and guides showing techniques to everybody with a dollors is uping the traffic everywhere.....enjoy the walleye dinner....
Hmmm.... Yeah. 20 years ago, NOBODY was fishing Walleyes at Chatty... especially at NIGHT...
Amazing what has happened AFTER it was popularized... :':)'(
AND.... Who do We owe THAT too?
word of mouth?

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Good job getting 1 into the boat! Chatty can be a real Pain in the a$$. Cant wait to get my boat back in service and out to chatty to get skunked LOL

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Heater

I have used a heater in my boat for years. 20 lb. tank with a round heater on top.

I don't see a problem if your smarter than the heater. :happy:

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have used a heater in my boat for years. 20 lb. tank with a round heater on top.

I don't see a problem if your smarter than the heater. :happy:
Can't say I see a problem either, but it only takes one time,... no matter how many times you've done it.

I've never really been a safety first kind of guy though.:rolleyes:

Nice fishy

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice outing, heater in boat bad bad idea IMHO, put some hot hands in their pocket and gloves, death by fire in the middle of a lake not a good way to go out.....yup the power of the internet and guides showing techniques to everybody with a dollar to fill thier pockets is upping the traffic everywhere.....enjoy the walleye dinner....
Mr. Heater is pretty amazing... not tipsy at all & I don't run the thing when it might get rough. It would go out anyway. If you set it down a bit too hard it turns off. Also, it has a safety mechanism to stop the propane flow if the flame goes out so it's deemed safe for indoor use, unlike many propane heaters. I haven't ever used it on my solo trips even with air temps dipping in the twenties, but guests like it. I hope to keep these kids enjoying fishing with dad so I take it easy on them. This one was bit under 18" but my boy enjoyed seeing his dinner swim away. Thanks Bobco.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Hmmm.... Yeah. 20 years ago, NOBODY was fishing Walleyes at Chatty... especially at NIGHT...
Amazing what has happened AFTER it was popularized... :':)'(
AND.... Who do We owe THAT too?
word of mouth?
I blame Zman, doing them damn interviews on the TV :biggrin1:

·
Registered
24,552 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Who built the enclosure for your boat? I've been wanting to have one made for my Tundra. I'd appreciate any info.
Paul's Canvas did a great job! I asked them for maximum visibility & I got more height since I'm 6'3" before shoes & hat. It's very sturdy in the wind & high speeds (within reason).

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I had a heater go up in a ball of flames once in a boat, never again. I have a mr heater buddy and they are great but there is allways the chance of mecanical failure, just not worth it IMHO. BTw those captain chairs look like a great ride..

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Heck yeah them $750 chairs look sweet!

They could possibly make trolling tolerable!

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
My fondest memories are of fishing with my old man and my brother. That's soo awesome to see.

I have a question though. Hopefully I don't come across as critical as that is not my intent. It seems everyone either long lines or planer boards. Father's day at Shatty on shrooms would be the bomb since all you see is the led's from the planer boards dancing on the waves. Happy Trails.... ;) I imagine most people use planer boards to target suspending fish feeding on shad baitballs. This cant be the only group of active fish--especially this time of year. You have Side Imaging and Ipilot, I would imagine there has to be some group of fish holding tight to a dropoff that you can target with a three way rig or something to that effect. Even casting to shore this time of year would yield good results--except where I fish apparently. Have you tried other pods of fish?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My fondest memories are of fishing with my old man and my brother. That's soo awesome to see.

I have a question though. Hopefully I don't come across as critical as that is not my intent. It seems everyone either long lines or planer boards. Father's day at Shatty on shrooms would be the bomb since all you see is the led's from the planer boards dancing on the waves. Happy Trails.... ;) I imagine most people use planer boards to target suspending fish feeding on shad baitballs. This cant be the only group of active fish--especially this time of year. You have Side Imaging and Ipilot, I would imagine there has to be some group of fish holding tight to a dropoff that you can target with a three way rig or something to that effect. Even casting to shore this time of year would yield good results--except where I fish apparently. Have you tried other pods of fish?
Good question. Line length behind the planer makes a huge difference in how deep the lure runs. For example, put 25 ft of line for a rogue or 100 ft for a Rapala original floater and both will run just a few feet deep. But, put 100 ft of line for a rogue and you'll run around 10 ft deep (variables could be lure, lip size, line type, lb test, speed, etc). Whether long lining or running planers you can fish a variety of depths, suspended or bumping bottom. This is a good technique at times, but just one of many. It's great for trolling with the family.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I'm assuming you have the Precision Trolling Ap on your phone. I know I would. I fish Shatty all the time from shore (I don't know why since I whiff way more than I hit) and if boaters aren't long lining or planer boarding, they are jigging the bridge. Just curious if you had other techniques in your bag of tricks. Trolling would certainly be the best thing for the kids. Tight Lines!!!

BTW, Last night, everybody was stacked up near the rocky point on the east side of the dam.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts