Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished the lake for about two hours starting just after 12:30 p.m.  I started workng the usual spots with jigs, no luck. The wind started up again, and I dropped two deep diving cranckbaits; rattling crawdad and deep diving rainbow. I trolled a line from the south marina towards the swim beach, and just as I approached the gravel pits in about 27ft of water,  the rod with the crawdad took a hit. I landed the only wally that bit during the two hours out. Here's a pic:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It went back into the lake to grow and fight another day...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I also was on chatfield 03.28.05 Started about 1:00pm. Fished the dam and landed about 20 walleye. Only one over 18". The short fish were all less than 5' and most took a husky jerk. The large female was in about 10 and took a sus #7 shad rap. Good time dispite the wind!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Nets are placed b/t 4pm and 8am?, I know the 4pm is correct not so sure about the am time. You have to fish the dam during the day.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
McFish,

Sounds like you were fishing just about right up on the rocks correct? Were you trolling or casting parallel?

I'm going to try and get out tomorrow early a.m. weather permitting. It's just a matter of time before some lands a wall hanger!

I'll see you in town Bigbrown.

Pete

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Casting along the rocks. Trolling is for weenies! Just kidding. The buck fish were < 5', the female came out of 8' or 10' on the rocks. She had a buck follow her all the way to the boat. Males are suckers.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
The morning time they pull the nets is 9 am...

Anyone heard if they are getting close to their quota? It seems like they usually get done earlier the the 15th of April...I dont think they were looking to get as many this year since so many eastern lakes have dried up...

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Pete, Wicked fish! It's always better to land the 1 fish that bites, than not to. Sometimes, That 1 bite, near the time I'm ready to go, can keep me there (lake) alot longer than I should stay.  :(  Nice catch.   

·
Registered
280 Posts
I wish I could figure out why you guys can catch walleye in thirty degree temps and over hear at pueblo it has to warm up to 50. Anyone have any input on this?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good question Oats... I wondered that myself .. wonder if it has anything at all to do with the amount of bait fish... Pueblo sure seems to be full of shad these days. I've not fished any up north but have been amazed at how much earlier things start to happen.

·
Registered
280 Posts
waltthefisherman, I haven't fished much at those lakes either but I don't think they are as deep or large as Pueblo, makeing the fish more accessable. In other words if Pueblo has 1,000 acres of water that is 20 feet or shallower and that 1,000 acres compromises only 20% of the lake. Compared to the 1,000 acres at those lakes that makes up 60% of the lake thats 1/4 the size its going to be easier to find fish. Although when fish don't want to bite it doesn't matter how big the lake is, so maybe someone up there can answer this debate

·
Registered
18 Posts
Went there yesterday afternoon between 2-4pm. Fishing at the shore west of marina facing swimming beach. Caught one walleye, about 14in, had to put back. Will try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks Oats for the info... yep, I think volume does matter for sure. Although for wiper and crappie in Pueblo I think things were much better when you could get to Turkey Creek especially in the fall for wiper...Reservoir probably was about 80% full. I miss it. Maybe within the next couple of years of these snow levels we'll be fishing Turkey creek again. Take care

1 - 16 of 16 Posts