Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Chatfiled last night from 1900 to 2400. Water temp was 54 degrees with little to no wind.

Caught 1 walleye 18 1/2" at the inlet (not sure of the creek name) just SW of Massey Draw at 2100, was released without pic - forgot the camera. Was jigging with a Storm Vibrotail Jig in about 6' of water. This was the only fish caught all night.

Trolled Cranks down the old river channel and worked the rocks by the West Marina without any success. Cant wait for the Dam restrictions to be lifted so I can get over there after the sun goes down.

Make sure you are legal when out at Chatfield and Cherry Creek DOW is checking boats and liscences. Did not have any problems as the officer was friendly but wanted to make sure we were playing by the rules.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fished it this morning from about 8 AM till 11 AM. The wind was pretty strong. no bites, but it was good to exercise the boat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Worked Chatfield last night also. I was on from 0100 to 0400, and no takers. I got so frustrated that I went to the dam and flashed the shallows to see if I could catch signs of any fish. I did not see any eye reflections at all.

It was a nice night though. Glad you got one!

·
Registered
769 Posts
F-16, was it and DOW warden or a Chatfield State Parks ranger that checked you? Just
curious as I have fished Chatfield for many, many years and have only once seen a DOW
warden out there (except for when they are assisting with the walleye spawn). Have been
checked many times by the Park rangers.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
     Was gonna go to 11 mile today but my partner said Mrs. Easter Bunny said no long trip because they're dying eggs tonite so we ended up at Chatfield. Got there bout 7:30, north ramp heading across south towards marina and started scoping fish out in front of the canopies.Trolling worm harnesses and a Tenn. shad crank,nothing across the middle so we headed to the southeast corner of the damn right after 9:00, made the turn up the dam and bam,the rod with the crank bout got pulled out of the boat. I set and started reelin,felt great for 1st of the season then it was gone!!!  :(  Never saw what it was, never came up, prolly big SM??? Had 3 more bites with this crank but just light ones and only one bite on the harness( silver faced blade with copper on bottom side). Water was at 53 degrees,lil chop on water and slight overcast, trolled just under 2 mph on all the bites. Would have liked to seen that 1st fish but all in all not a bad 1st trip out, lil rusty!!!
        Have fun and cya on the water!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GMCO45 they were DOW officers at the ramps with Park Rangers. After talking with the officer he said they were just helping out with enforcement. Have never been checked at Chatfield until then.

Tthepikester that one big hit will haunt your dreams and keep you coming back for more. Had the same thing happen at the end of last year at Chatfield. Good post.

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
Anyone been out to Chatfield past midnight lately?
just curious whats going on out there

·
Registered
55 Posts
I worked it from 0100 to 0430 last Thursday morning. Threw and dragged husky jerks, Reef Runners and Smithwicks. I usually always get at least one, but not this time. Spotlighted the rocks, and saw no fish either. You got me what was up, but I had fun catching nothing!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
MacGyver-O-Fishin said:
Blame DOW for dumping all those gizzard shad in the lake last spring ... now the lake is overrun with them.
But you should of seen the size of some of the walleye they spawned there this year... and they were regergitating (spelling?) gizard shad, so for you that troll that lake I would make sure to match the gizard shad this year.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
You know how it goes, because of all the shad fishing will be tough for a couple of years, then the population (shad) will crash and we will catch big fish for a couple of years, then they will start getting skinny again and we will complain about that, then the shad population will increase causing fishing to be tough for a couple of years so we will complain about too many shad and tough fishing, then the population (shad) will crash..............

Damn don't you hate when you are not in the "catch big fish" portion of the cycle?

Dan

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had one good night on the 14th of March, and the fish looked like footballs.

One day I am gonna love that lake, but she is testing me now.

I heard big mac is starting. That is good news!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts