Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished Chatfield for 5 hrs this morning. The lake was like glass and for the first 3 hrs it was overcast and perfect conditions for fishing. Around 9 I make my way over to the dam and started catching 15-17" male walleye in 10 to 15' of water. At 12:00 the water temp was 48.6 degrees. I caught 8 walleye,2 smallmouth and 1 rainbow. It was great to get out and be in the boat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought I would add some more info and pics

I caught 3 on curly tail grubs. Then after losing 20 jigs I started slip bobber rigging flathead minnows. They worked well until about 1:00 and then the boat traffic shut them down.

I liked Chaffield, the bottom had varried structure with many mid lake features. The area next to the dam has several humps and pocket holes that I know will hold fish. I graphed several large fish on the edges in deeper water, but no takers. I can see that I will have to break out the drift sock for afternoon fishing. The wind picks up like most western lakes. I think that in the next two weeks that we will have a shot at some bigger fish several days of higher temps will move the ladies.

There were 2 jet skis and many some wake boarders making tracks by the dam. I can only guess how bad it will be when the lake gets warmer. How's the night fishing? In Utah Deer Creek was the same. I only went mid week early or late in the day to avoid the crowds and on the weekends I only night fished or went to a cold water lakes. For my first time on the lake I enjoyed it. I didn't get down to the other end so I guess I will just have to go next week and check it out.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Fished the edge of the old river channel on the east shore along the bluffs. had several hits including one that tore my minnow in half. Problem was they was hitting short. By the time I got stinger hooks added they stopped hitting. Water was 45=46 degrees there, with a fairly good chop, was out from 4-6pm.

Dan

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
pescadorutah said:
I caught 3 on curly tail grubs. Then after losing 20 jigs
Whoa!!! Hope we don't see you on the streets next week from losing so many jigs. ;)JK sometimes it is necessary to sacrifice many lures to get a few fish, especially curly tail grubs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts