Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished from 9 am till 330 today. Said hi to Rob who was fishing the shore. He said he caught a couple of smallies yesterday. We fished the dam to the tower, then down along Massey Draw, past the swim beach over to the submerged bridge then down the wakeless zone, slowly moved through 2 feet of water and then finally had to push my way with my paddle in 1 foot of water (I had to search to find a slight depression to make it) to the king fisher area. Then I worked my way back up to the north boat cove. I figured I would make a pass through there on my way to the dock.

Finally caught a fish. A nice solid rainbow about 16-17 inches long. Caught it on a rainbow crocodile.

Before then I tried leeches, crawlers, harnesses, shad raps, X-raps, lipless cranks, gulp worms, daredevils, jigs with minnows, minnows, jigs with leeches etc, etc, etc.

6 and a half hours and I caught a fish 15 minutes before I left........On the upside........NO SKUNK!

Dan

·
Registered
258 Posts
So, what is up with the fishing at Chatfield??? ??? ??? Was there last Saturday and Sunday AM and went home with nothing!!!! :mad: :mad: Like I said in a previous post, plenty of schools of fish showing up on sonar in 30 feet of water, but absolutely nothing biting/hungry. Not sure if we want to "waste our time" at Chatfield again this weekend or just drive over to CC and try our luck there.
Cody

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the fish are well fed this spring Cody. the occasional fish being caught is fat and healthy from all the shad they have been chowing down on. I think this year a person is going to have flexible and willing to try different things to catch fish there. But then again maybe the stars are in a good alignment and things will pickup now that that water has consistently broken 50 degrees........

but then again who knows.................

Dan

·
Registered
598 Posts
I completely agree with Dan, the fishing is a very tough from all the shad put in two years ago but has made for some extremely healthy fish. I was talking to a security guard for the marina he said last fall they netted what would be the CO. record smallie and from what I've seen I believe him. I have seemed to have the best luck with real lazy jigin, casting out let it fall to the bottom, reel real slow bouncing the bottom for two to four turns then let it sit a few seconds and repeat. I'll keep trying when I get a chance.

Good Luck

J

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Nice job Dan!...Joe and I got skunked last night (see the Cherry Creek thread)

Oh and your pound of leeches comes in next Wednesday...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
A fish is a fish. Im glad to hear you caught something. 2 nights ago we were there, and saw all kinds of little shiners jumping in the shallows. We were at the south boat ramp and decided to toss a pole in, but we kept seeing flashes of silver down in the water. Then noticed them surfacing. The shallows were full of Shad, but we had no luck getting them to hit our lines.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, Dan... It was good to see you, thanks again for the info, and I'm glad you didn't get skunked!! Hope to run into you again soon!

·
Registered
198 Posts
guy's!?!? chatfield is not that tough. yes the walleye are "well fed" but i still catch a plenty. now listen carefully...you must fish thoroughly and with a precise presentation! never give up, the fish are still there! my only problem so far this season is i can't seem to keep a a big walleye hooked up?! one came unbuttoned yesterday at cherry creek! F + L + P + PMA = SUCCESS

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think Raven is right, but fishing at Chatfield is going to take lots (and I do mean LOTS) of patience. We will probably go there this coming Sunday AM and try it again. We will try all the bait and lures we will have in the old tackle box. Plan on getting some leeches and trying them also.
Problem is, it's so, so, so frustrating seeing schools of fishing swimming by on sonar and NONE biting. Oh well, as the old saying goes, "Patience my son, patience". YEA, RIGHT.......3 hours on the water and not a single bite, that word "patience" can get mighty old in hearing.
Anyway, we will see what happens.
Cody

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the disbelievers that I actually caught a fish of decent size.............(that means you Zman!)

Dan

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Boy, that is one mean, ugly looking son of a gun....

The fish looks pretty nice, though....

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Nice,,,

Hat.

I'm kinda flabbergasted about the size of the fish...

It's sad news for the forum though, if you keep catching fish like that there will be nothing fun to talk about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts