Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to take the wife to the airport at 4am so decided what the heck go hit chat and see what happens, hit the water about 6am to 11am not one bite, tried every single thing I had in the box. Went from kingfisher to the inlet. I was even on my little pontoon. Guess I need to go back to Granby. Crazy never seen it like that. ???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Seems to me that chatfield has been pretty slow this entire year..... I have been out there quite a few times this year and have come away with chapped hands and a sunburn... If you have a secret to catching them I would sure like to hear it....

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have done all right to excellent out there this year but I usually show up late afternoon to early evening. I haven’t had much luck with walleyes but great luck with small mouth and trout. And for trout it seems like they’ll hit anything I’ve tried trolling leeches, swim baits, crank baits, all kinds of stuff for walleye but all I get are trout. Good luck hope this helps.

J

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I've been hitting some big lake trout and a few smallmouth with Firetiger rappalas (orange on bottom, green on top, with black stripes), trolling up and down the dam. Try the number F-5, F-7 or F-9. Only had luck right before the sun comes up until about and hour after it's up. My brother in law and I have been averaging about 8 fish us a trip, usually at least one smallmouth. Same lures have worked for me from shore as well.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
There are no lakers in chatfield, are there?

·
Registered
622 Posts
??? Was at the lake from 7-11pm little smallies" I was fishin for wally's leech's, worms & husky jerks it was another flatlander expierience............ ???

·
Registered
680 Posts
I was hookin up with lots of small smallies. lol
just the other day FIRST CAST I hooked up with one that might have been close to a keeper; jumped outta water and threw hook.  :mad:
I fish afternoon-evening, or morning for me(after 10a.m. lol)
seems like if it gets sunny, they quit hitting flat out, I'll even leave.
so I only go over when its cloudy.
they are up real close; I imagine with some polarized sunglasses you could sight-fish(although they get under the rocks I think). I saw one come up and hit my lure; like 5 feet out.
fun time; those smallies are mean!!!
I must warn you thou; good luck catching keepers. Ive only caught 1 this season. A bigger lure might help, but im catch and release any how.

LOCATION- near the west boat ramp, next to dam. I think all those rocks hold some.

LURE-Orange/yellow jighead, 1/32 I think; with a 1.5" yellow-pearl mister twister, I think.  Not even letting it sink; just toss it more parellel then perpindicular to the shore line and just real it in slow, they'll come up and grab it.

I thought maybe I would hook a few crappies. I just don't understand why they arn't there.  That cove with the 2 ramps seems like a great crappie spot.   :-\

BTW I can't catch any walleyes no matter what. lol
and king fisher has no fish. hahaha well maybe a few carp; I caught a 30 incher. I was tossin a 1" twister lookin for crappies;  :D took a 1/2 hour to get him in on that little rig. had to pull my damn float tube to shore; advice- don't try to land a fish that big in a belly boat. any way; hooked in the mouth, those carp are probably a 99% hookup rate, with those damn nasty fleshy #@[email protected]#@ lips. yet half the bass I get hits on don't hook up....  :-\

Ok I think this post is way too long by now.  ;D
good luck

BTW- maybe there is lake trout; just like theres large-mouth bass and tiger muskie. ;D

I don't mean to disagree >:D but I was tossin a fat fire tiger and got nothin a few weeks back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts