Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  Fished Chatfield with a couple friends last night from 9:30pm to 1:00am started off drowning worms, and my buddy only caught one small mouth so I switched to throwing a white minnow stick bait and after working the shoreline for awhile I finally got a hit or should I say slam, the fish litterally took the bait out of the water, and slammed it down and as I stood there I thought wow that fish was close and then I felt my pole almost leave my hands, anyway I landed him he was 15" or 16" but damn ownry,  this is my first larger that 7" Walleye ever.     Very, Very cool ;D

·
Registered
769 Posts
Was out for awhile with two others and we boated about 30 that were 16.5 to 19.5. You are
right about not much of a fight. That is until they see the boat then they do all that they can to head for the bottom. Was a lot of fun. Leeches were the ticket. Only managed to catch one on a crawler.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I went out for a couple of hours this am, (wed the 24th) I did not get out until after 10 am because the wife had to do "one more thing it will on take a second". Saw lots of fish hitting the surface and one commorant that found a school of shad (about 3-4 inches) it went down the fish flew out of the water and Mr. Commorant came to the surface to swallow a fish. saw him get 5 or 6 in just a few minutes.

But back to what I was saying. the fishing was slow for me I only got one smallie about 10 inches at the dam. Got him on a leach just off the rocks.

Since i went out last week they have taken 3 or 4 feet of water out. Looks more like July than late May. They have not pushed the docks out either. For the average size boat you have to go all the way to the last section to get in and out of the boat. The middle section is angled and very slippery when wet. The first section is three feet above the water....

I wonder if this is indicative of what the water levels will be for the rest of the year?

Will try to get out closer to sunrise on the 25th and see how I do then......

Dan

·
Registered
633 Posts
Dan, you are right about the docks- they're tricky! You could bump the front of your truck on them as you are putting your boat in if you aren't careful. Having the water level drop this early may actually be a blessing in disguise because it will take away a lot of the spawning area for those shad which may end up only having the one early hatch this year. By the end of summer all those 'bows and 'eyes may do a little damage to all the shad and we may have a productive Fall. ;D Maybe I'm just wishing and getting ahead of myself, but a man can dream can't he? ;) good luck tomorrow. Looney

1 - 6 of 6 Posts