Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Chatfield this afternoon from about 2-6 pm. Went into the wakeless area along the west shore near Catfish Flats. Running leeches on chartreuse and white jigs. Got 2 walleye, caught them in 10-15 feet of water where it transitions from the old gravel pits to the flats.

For the first time this year I saw large schools of bait fish on the surface. Saw some bass busting the schools. It is going to get harder to catch fish now that the young of the year are getting large enough to interest the bigger fish like walleye and bass. Last year I countered the bait fish by watching for a fish busting the school and then tossing a large minnow to the spot. (I had them hooked by the dorsal fin.) I gave the minnow about a 3 second count after hitting the water then gave the line a jerk. I did much better than just letting a minnow sit there. I think a senko wacky rigged would work well also.

I also worked the flats near the sunken bridge, without luck. Then moved to the tower area and caught a few smallies in the 8-12 inch range.

Dan

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Thanks for the report D. Glad to see your still catching fish out there. I hope them putting the shad in there help bulk up the fish with out turing it into another CC where there are TO MANY bait fish....Time will tell.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Dan a couple of other things you might try...the little glass shad raps start to work when those juvenile schools of bait fish show up...

Also on hooking your minnow and giving it a jerk...try hooking them in one eye and out the other...I know it sounds crazy but it doesnt kill them...they swim like crazy...plus they stay on better since you have to pull the hook through their skull...we used to cast them a long ways like that on the trout streams of southern Minnesota...you could then reel them in and swim them into areas like a live "Rapala"...no splits shot no nothing...it was deadly...

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
try hooking them in one eye and out the other...
Even though I have poked thousands of hooks through minnows, leeches, crawlers and crawfish. The idea of going in one eye and out the other just gives me the heebie jeebies!

I'll try it the next time I go out. Thanks Z

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I've thought about the eyeball idea, but it always kind of bugged me out. Good pointer, Z.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts