Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit Chatfield this morning eventhough I could only stay for a short time. On the water at 7AM and fished till 10AM. Things are picking back up again I think after the weather changes of last week. Caught 11 Walleyes, 2 Bluegills, 2 Smallies and a Rainbow trout. Two of the "Eyes" were pushing the "in the pool" mark on the yard stick. The Walleyes seem to be getting much heavier and fatter than they were even a month ago. As a matter of fact one of the bigger ones coughed up a 2 1/2 inch shad when I was trying to measure him. Marked a lot of fish hanging just under large schools of baitfish and saw several shad breaking the water. Looked like it was going to turn into a great day but had to leave for honey does. Several boats were just pulling into the area so perhaps one of them will leave a post and let me know what I missed. It certainly wasn't all of the "Water Magots" that were starting to appear doing their roundy rounds. Tight lines everyone--shad

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Good Job Shad! sounds like you were pretty busy for 3 hours. Could you give a poor soul, who has a reputation for catching small fish some advice on where and how?

Any Help would be appreciated.

Dan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try the south road bed east of the bridge. Marked a lot of fish at 16' but most of my hook ups came at 18.5' to 20'. I am running dual lindy rigs with leaches or glow worms. I think the trick is to not run a dead stick and also run a open bail. I am experimenting with a baitcaster to see if the trigger bar may make things easier. Has anyone ever tried it for lindying? The takes were very suttle and a count of five seemed to be working. I will be out there again tomorrow so perhaps see you there. Good luck--Shad

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Thanks shad, I will give that a try on Monday or Tuesday.

wish I could help with advice with the baitcaster, but they and I just don't get along well.

dan

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Wait to go Shadrap.!!..that is some of the best news I have heard today...and welcome...dont be a stranger...has anyone tried switching back to minnows even though they are a pain to keep alive this time of the year?

·
Registered
85 Posts
zman said:
Wait to go Shadrap.!!..that is some of the best news I have heard today...and welcome...dont be a stranger...has anyone tried switching back to minnows even though they are a pain to keep alive this time of the year?

AND HARD TO FIND!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
RocknRoll Shadrap...Yeah hope your right with things picking up; I'm down for a more consistent bite!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts