Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Chatfield 8/21/05

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  fishing3o3 
#1 ·
Fished Chatfield again this morning with about the same luck. Caught 12 Walleyes--2 smallies and two Perch. Got one keeper--already eaten for lunch-- and 2 others just under. They are really getting fat. Three different Walleyes had 2 inch shad in their throats. Saw several huge schools of shad breaking water and early a 4-5 pound Wiper broke water 3 times chasing some. Caught some fish just east of the bridge but all of the bigger fish came from the far east end. All caught in 15-16 feet of water today. The bites are very very tenative. One interesting note was that one of the fish that I caught was excreating a #4 snelled hook out. Nice to know that is possible, must have hurt though. About 11:00 the big yellow tunnel boat showed up and started running up and down the lake. Waves got so bad I finally packed it in. What happened to the 40mph speed limit. That guy really seems to have an ego problem. See ya on the lake--shad

#3 ·
fishinguitars said:
i didnt think chatfield had a wiper population?
I thought I heard someone talking about wiper at the picnic too... But I just checked the DOW fishing map I have and it does not have wiper or white bass listed as species at chatfield.

#8 ·
I know what you mean about the guy in the yellow boat. He must have a better job than me to afford gas in it. He is out during the day and I often see him out in the evening.

What kind of a boat are you running I will keep on eye out for you the next time I am there. I run an old 14 foot fish hawk.

Dan

#9 ·
I have never heard of a wiper being caught at Chatfield and I never have seen one cruising...it is Dan's home lake maybe he can shed some insight on whether he has ever seen any...I bet they were smallies busting the baitfish...

#11 ·
Hey Dan--You are probably right it was a smallie but it sure was a big one. I should keep a spare rod handy with a crank tied on to pitch out next time I see that. I ride in a white Lund. Let me know the next time you are going to be out and maybe we can get together. I would love to learn from a more experienced angler. Have lots of room on the boat. Shad

#13 ·
I am going to try and get out tomorrow am. (Wednesday) I need to try your technique out on the road. I have caught some bluegill along the roadbed but no walleye or perch yet.

As for being more experienced I would not put too much stock in that, I see that you are catching fish when I am not!

On the outside chance that really was a wiper..........maybe a bucket biologist has been at work!

Dan

#14 ·
i dont tink the bucket biologists could do much for wipers since they dont reproduce it could be an isolated thing those some folks dont know they are steril and might have moved a fish or 2 trying to start something

#15 ·
roadkill said:
i dont tink the bucket biologists could do much for wipers since they dont reproduce it could be an isolated thing those some folks dont know they are steril and might have moved a fish or 2 trying to start something
You are very right Roadkill, I guess if it was something a bucket biologist tried to do it shows they really are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Dan

#16 ·
well some may disagree but the majority of the bucket biologists arn't the brightest

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.