Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I gave Chatfield a go this am got out around 7a and fished till noon. Took Shadraps advice and worked the old roadbed east of the bridge. Leeches on a lindy rig, nothing. I did catch a couple of bluegills and my wife caught a perch on worms fished just off the bottom. On a side note, when I was taking out at the marina. I left a line in the water and a 2.5 inch smallie took it, I noticed it when I went to remove the hook and strip the line. I'll try to blow up the picture enough for you all to see it! (i used my wifes camera....)

Well back to the fishing. I must be doing something wrong. Perhaps I am running the wrong direction when I am doing the fishdance before I go out or maybe I need to sacrifice a rapala to the fishing gods or something!

Dan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Dan--Sorry to hear you did not have a better day. Not sure the difference as it sure sounds like you were doing everything the same. Were you seeing fish on your electronics? Let me know the next time you are headed out and perhaps we can tag up and put some get even on them. I may go either Thur or Friday. Shad

P.S. One possible difference is I have the boat raido tuned to KYGO--perhaps the fish like country music?????

·
Registered
24,589 Posts
P.S. One possible difference is I have the boat raido tuned to KYGO--perhaps the fish like country music?
...no offense...I would rather go fishless...

To paraphrase Bruce Willis in The Last Boyscout

Bad Guy Torturing Him: "I'm going to make you scream!"

Bruce Willis deadpanning: "Play some country or rap music..."

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey Dan, Don't feel bad.  I took Shadraps advice also and was the first boat on the water Monday morning.  Fished the east end of the road and near the bridge for two hours with no luck.  Went over to the dam and ended up catching a dozen or so SM in the next two hours.  I'm going to Aurora Res tomorrow and will let you guys know if anything works out.   

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dan

Just to let you know, the wife and I were on Chatfield last Sunday morning (between 8:30 and 11:30 AM). We were fishing for trout at our two usual spots south of the beach area near the river mouth. Plenty of fish were showing up on our sonar, but basically nothing was biting. However, we did get one nice 15 inch Rainbow in 29 feet of water. So...our morning fishing trip wasn't a complete failure, but was pretty disappointing for the wife. It sort of upsets her when she can see school and school of fish on the sonar and none of them are biting. I keep telling her, "just because fish are showing up on sonar, doesn't mean they will bite/take the bait." I also tell her, "just because you go fishing, sure doesn't guarantee you will catch anything."
Well, there is always next weekend.
Cody (cowboy)

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P.S. One possible difference is I have the boat raido tuned to KYGO--perhaps the fish like country music??
Perhaps its because I took my wife with me? the perfume might have turned them off?

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the biggest problem is the amount of forage in the lake. There are so many huge schools of forage I can't believe it. The forage is large too, looks like they are hitting 2-3 inches in length. On the upside I am hoping that my recent dearth in catching fish will translate into the bass and walleye packing on a lot of size and weight this fall.

If that is right, next spring could have lots of nice, fat keeper walleye!

Dan

·
Registered
88 Posts
Earlier this summer the DOW was concerned that there were not as many shad in Chatfield as in the past. They netted and transferred several thousand from Cherry Creek. Sounds like the shad are doing well and should help the walleye and bass get some weight.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Dan, just another day in paradise at Chatfield; nothing new with an almost skunk kind of day. I think in a way that's what I like about Chatfield, sometimes it's a challenge and it's a battle between the fisherperson and the lake.

Look on the bright side, at least you didn't spend a ton of money on fuel, on an away trip.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pete you are right of course. I just keep thinking how big the fish are gonna get with all of that food in the water....I can't wait for ice out next spring to see if it will translate into bigger fish.

Dan

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Dan,

Good point, what direction were you running when you did the fish dance? I dance heading into the wind regardless of where the wind is out of, some of my friends face the sun regardless of the time of day without regard to the wind. I have also known people that dance in the direction the cows face. I think the only way to figure out if there is a favored direction for the fish dance is to start some sort of a survey.

Terre

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Terre,

I was going counter clockwise and waving 2 rods over my head in a clockwise rotation. As for the wind direction I don't recall. Perhaps I had too many clothes on too? Should I do it nude?

Suggestions any one?

Dan

·
Registered
943 Posts
man i did not need to picture that ;D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts