Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished from 3:00 to 5:30. Overall not to bad the traffic was pretty light. Fished the south side from the bouy line up to the point in old river channel. Caught 3 trout right away on castmaters trolled at 1.8 to 2.1 MPH. Graphed a lot of shad schools and the gulls were feeding on that side. Saw a lot of fish on the bottom. Switched to a smoke tube and a white curly tail jig then bottom fished hoping to get into some walleye. No luck I only caught 3 more trout. Caught 4 last night and kept 2 for dinner, but would like to find the walleye.

I haven't caught any smallmouth since August tried fishing deeper structure off the dam, but can't get any of them to bite. Still better than sitting at home.

Another couple of weeks and the lake will be left to the fishermen...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi MobyJ, gang,

I was out there too. I fished until about 6:30 and the only thing I ended up with was a couple of small smallmouth bass by the dam on some hand tied jigs under a bobber in 4-6 feet of water.

MobyJ is right, the ski crowds are dropping off and its not quite the zoo that is has been.

I also trolled some various cranks. First I tried some shad patterns, different sizes with no luck then moved to firetiger and other brighter colors and no luck on that either. I was on the road bed for a couple of runs about the same speed as you.

The water temp was between 62.5 and 66 degrees.

Still schools of shad around but not like a couple of weeks ago. At least I didn't run into as many of them.

There was a decent size bluegill floating that the gulls were eating. I sure would like to find them out there for a panfish dinner - anybody willing to give up a spot or two?

Jeff

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Sounds like a good day you both had, but I consider any day catching a fish good hehe. Gills should be pretty easy to find, look for kids on shore catching fish... I would try around bouys, sandy beaches, lay downs, and deeper rocks along the damn for the gills. that should have you running around the lake. :p

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I was at CSP on the 26th from about 4 - 7 p. Let me tell you was it nice. Temp around 80's, clear, light breeze. Only 3 ski boats that I remember and a couple of jet skiers. I was catching bluegills (using night crawlers)about 8 feet down over the bridge. Nothing large but fun...........The best part was the beautiful weather and the peace and quiet on the lake. Too bad the weather is crappy today!

Dan

·
Registered
767 Posts
Speaking of gills, I used to catch tons of ringed perch in there. far more of those than I did actual blue gills. I haven't been able to catch one in a long time. While you are on the topic of pan fish, are there still ringers in there or did the bucket biologists take them all to blue Mesa?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
by ringers do you mean yellow perch?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
pikester said:
or did the bucket biologists take them all to blue Mesa?
Haha there are millions at Blue Mesa... but yeah there are/should still be some in chatfield.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i like that they also look like they are behind bars

1 - 9 of 9 Posts