Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit Chatfield this afternoon for a few hours. Was fishing for bass. Did not catch any. I did catch a couple of Rainbows though. Got them on a chartreuse crawler harness. Trolling at less than 1 mph. Off the dam.

Decent sized, 12-14 inches.

Water is cooling a little bit, down to 68-70 degrees at the surface. Water is more green than I have seen it all year. Clarity as probably 3-4 feet.

Not seeing nearly as many schools of forage fish and what I do see are fish between 2-3 inches. Hard to tell but I think they are mainly shad. Still seeing schools on the fish finder but they seem to be lesss frequent and a bit smaller. Hopefully things will start improving ing a next couple of weeks.

Dan

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
Terre can we all show up on our lunch hour and be picked up at the dock?...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey Dan, I thought the Rainbow's stayed in their own areas of the lake.........you know, where the wife and I have been going, below the Swim Beach area. Now they are over by the Dam, visiting the Bass????
Only kidding, you know. :D :D :D
Yea, that 12-14 inch size is mainly what we have caught, but we have got a couple in the 15-17 inch size. The "Big Ones" were those two Brown's that we got....18 1/2 & 19 inch ...WOW!!!
Well, for the next few weeks, we wish you and the other guys (and ladies/kids) "Good Luck" in your fishing.
Cody (cowboy)

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Terre,

sorry for the delay responding. I was at work all day yesterday and the dial-up connection is not really dfesigned for my type of heavy duty surfing!

During the week the boat traffic has dropped drastically! Kids are back in school so its very nice now. If it is like last year the weekend traffic will be down also. I guess most people have other things to do. (The busy other people are the better for us).

I was thinking about the trout and why they are being caught but not too many walleye (if any) and bass are still a little hard to catch consistantly. I think its the size of the forage. Walleye and Bass have larger mouths and are able to handle 2-3 inch shad easier than smaller mouthed trout. So the trout are more likely to bite on a smaller offering.

Just a theory on my part..........

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts