Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally have some time to post...started fishing Saturday about 3pm with my friend Dennis from Greeley...went to the no wake area of the south platte...fished our way over with leeches on the bottom and casting cranks...like Dan said...huge schools of baitfish on the surface...sometimes skittering everywhere...tried all sorts of minnow plugs to imitate...nothing...occasionally big fish would bust the surface...still nothing...heard Dans post in my head to try something off the wall that would still mimic all the fish life...choose one of the new Panther Martin Size 6 spinners in Rainbow Holographic finish...caught a small smallmouth...then while fishing the second tree stump that you come to in the platte river arm...caught a pee wee smallie of about 3 inches...my very next cast was right next to the stump on the south side of the stump...an almost immediate hook up...a snag on the stump I thought...I made the mistake...I let my guard down...pulled on it strong...I was surprised when it jumped...a smallie in the 3 to 4 pound category...it threw the hook...man I was bummed...I have heard how tough they are to catch over 15 inches...oh well she was going back anyway...I was way surprised...this was followed a little while later by a 14 inch Rainbow by the shoreline...Dennis was feeling the skunk so again a forum voice (Jay from Parker) who talked about the smallies by the dam near evening...off we went...and he was right...the biggest about 12 inches down to about 4 inches...some of them had crayfish sticking out of their stomachs...lots of luck on the rainbow Panther Martin...quite a bit of luck on a gold panther martin size 6 with the black and yellow dots...it was now almost dark we decided to go over by the road bed and the handicapped pier and drift a leech on a small red hook and a couple of 1/32 ounce bullshots...and cast cranks with another pole...I had a hard hit almost immediately on the leech...I use light 4 pound line when baitfishing for walleyes...for the most part they fight like a boot...and their teeth are not line cutters...it slides between them like dental floss...it was a long 5 minute fight...I thought it was a really good smallmouth...I knew it wasnt a walleye and if it was it was big...it turned out to be a fat 19.5 inch Channel Cat much to my surprise (it was released)...that made my 10th channel cat on 3 different trips to 3 different bodies of water this year on leeches...I have used leeches in the past and never caught a channel cat...that rounded out the fishing for Saturday...oh and the water temp was 71 degrees and the wind swirled from many directions that day...Sunday I got up early to help with the picnic and hung around there most of the day...Dennis and I went out about 6:15 in the evening until helping tear down at 8 pm...we went to the south bay next to the Marina on the east side where the old boat rental place was...again baitfish everywhere...fish occasionally busting them...we got one hit...again my Rainbow Panther...a 14.5 inch smallmouth...we went back out after helping tear down...we fished until 11pm...not a bite on leeches...nothing on cranks...nothing on spinners...nothing on Rapalas...some big fish were busting minnows...surprised the minnow shaped rapalas werent working...fish seemed to either be on the bottom or near the top on the fishfinder...that is how Chatfield was for me the get together weekend...

And I want to thank all of the great people I met at the picnic...great stories...some good lies...lots of good ribbing and laughs...most of all a bunch of people getting together to celebrate what they love...fishing...

And thanks Ken for all of your hardwork...and all of your wifes hard work...your daughter has some incredible hand and eye coordination!...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Atleast someone was catching something bigger then their hand. That lake seems pretty hard from shore to me, I like smaller water I think.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Excellent post Z; got a kick outta talking to you and Dennis.

I think you get the award for fish caught that weekend, right on!

Pete

·
Registered
943 Posts
does he get the 6" golden wallye award? ;D

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
For the current conditions at Chatfield you did excellent! Good Job!

But you have me worried. I am very concerned about the voices you are hearing....................

Dan

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
??? ??? ??? ??? ???Doesnt EVERYONE hear the voices?  ??? ??? ??? ???

Pete we need to give Lathrop a try in fall...I think you will really really like the Musky lake...Horseshoe Lake...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts