Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished the last couple of days at Chatfield, since its so close to the house. Fishing has been spotty to say the least. I usually try to talk with the "rangers" to get any information whenever possible, most of them aren't worth the clothes they're wearing. I finally spoke with one that was reasonably helpful and he told me that if the marina closes, the lake will close to boating. His boss heard that the army core of engineers stated that if the lake rises another 10ft, it will close the marina and they may have an emergency evacuation of the boats in the marina.

I was told by another "ranger" that yesterday they let out something like 22 thousands gallons and received 27K. These numbers could be completely made up. I have not checked them, but based on the water levels, it is definitely rising. Yesterday the lake was barely in the parking lot on the north ramp, and today it was 8ft into the lot. :-\

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Don't think I have ever heard them measure inflow and outflow in gallons. Perhaps 2,200 cfs out and 2,700 cfs in, if the S. Platte is even capable of that. Don't know? Is the spillway gushing pretty good?

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
It is ripping come out of the dam. haven't seen it like that in along time. Going to be a lot of Eyes in the river this year.
Just checked 2630 coming out of Chattyand over 1000 below the Cheese. Back in the day before the fires Deckers was great at those high flows.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
parker tom; Going to be a lot of Eyes in the river this year. Just checked 2630 coming out of Chattyand over 1000 below the Cheese. Back in the day before the fires Deckers was great at those high flows.[/QUOTE said:
I agree on both counts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Platte River by my house near Santa Fe and Evans has been extremely high for the past three weeks. I've lived here for 20 years and I don't remember ever seeing the river this high for this long.

I do remember a few years ago the water levels got up to the parking lots....this may be a good year for the powers that may be to say screw it and raise the water level at Chatfield like they've been talking about for years. We certainly have the snow pack for it this year.

No doubt Lake Mac should be completely full this year as well with all the water going downstream.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The Platte River by my house near Santa Fe and Evans has been extremely high for the past three weeks. I've lived here for 20 years and I don't remember ever seeing the river this high for this long.

I do remember a few years ago the water levels got up to the parking lots....this may be a good year for the powers that may be to say screw it and raise the water level at Chatfield like they've been talking about for years. We certainly have the snow pack for it this year.

No doubt Lake Mac should be completely full this year as well with all the water going downstream.
The South Platte does not flow into Big Mac. The North Platte flows into Mac..

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Yeah the north platte is suspected to reach record highs this week, mac is already over 80% full and filling quickly

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder what he was referring to. The guy distinctly said 27 in and 22 out. I am not sure what he meant, I kind of had a brain fart and didn't think about cfs. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks. May be driving a lot farther to fish.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a cabin at Big Mac and it coming up. I was told that they are holding the flow from the north platte to help the flow downstream. They feared that they may have to release some of the water when the south platte goes down. I have herd that Glendo is not full yet, is that true??

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

They won't say screw it and let it fill, they have mitigation to do first -- bulldoze all the trees and structures. Then they'll let it refill to the new higher level over time as needed.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I'm wondering how many (if ANY) fish will be lost THROUGH the dam outlet..
It's not like 12 (?) years ago when they opened the gates during the Walleye spawn.. and many BIG females went down through the tubes.
That "outlet" gate has to be at least 60-70 ft deep with the current water level.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My II Cents

There is a lot of snow on the mountains around South Park or the South Platte drainage. The mountains look like it's a heavy snow winter right now.

The spring melt has not started up there yet so more water coming.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts