Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a couple buddies hit the damn at Chatfield yesterday.  I figured I would like to troll some cranks for the sunset feeding.  The water was approx. 53 degrees, and we were marking a lot of fish around the 5-10 ft range.  I threw on a shallow runner in perch color running about 6 ft down.  We made a few passes alond the damn, and as soon as we hit the corner, BAM!  I hooked into this monster.  We nearly had to turn the boat around to ensure he didn't snap my line.  It was a wicked fight between me and this fish that lasted the better part of an hour. . . . . . . .well 45 seconds anyway.   ;)  He made the whole night worth it.

Of course after that, my truck broke down at the top of the boat ramp, and I had to call my Dad to come and get us at like 11pm.  The truck still sits there and I need to figure a way to get it to the shop, but thats a story for an altogether different post. 

Happy fishing to all!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
That's like four times bigger than my first bass of the year. Don't knock it. I hope you tossed that monster back into the lake to fight another day :D

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sure did. I needed to let it grow nice and fat so I could come back and catch him at another time!

And I sure wasn't knocking anything. I agree with you, right now ANY fish out there is worthy. And I am darn happy to have pulled in this one. It was actually the first fish I have caught trolling this year, so make no mistake, I am ecstatic that I caught it! It was a first for the year on so many different levels.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think Chatfield is about two weeks away from turning on. If the weather cooperates (today doesn't help) the smallies
will be all over shallow cranks or small tubes in crawdad
patterns. They will be barfing up crawdads in your boat before you know it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts