Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually, almost always especially for me. Why do I ever go there? Skunked more times than I can remember.
Daughter bought a new rod/reel, and since she is just getting into ice fishing, wanted to try it out. Since the mountains were out of question, (snow/wind), decided to go local. Headed out around 1PM, somewhere off Catfish flats. Moved couple times, ice around 5-6 inches, slushy at spots cause of warm temps. Total, 7 trout between my son, daughter, and me, so not a complete loss, in fact, better than I thought. Be careful out there now, what with the wind and temps.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
The only reason I would ice Chatty is to commit suicide on death ice-

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
lol need a ride?...

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Took a "look see" yesterday around 10 am...
Looked like 2 groups of Guys, one with a hut..
3 more out front of Fox Run...
Looked more like a "floating swimming pool" with wind driven waves... >:D
Not My idea of "safe ice"

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I've actually caught some really nice trout there. Some nights it was ridiculous. For how close it is, a night like that is worth it. That was a couple years ago, though.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
I've actually caught some really nice trout there. Some nights it was ridiculous. For how close it is, a night like that is worth it. That was a couple years ago, though.
If I want slimers, I ain't going to Shitfield!:D

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
ahh so it's the weather conditions...I thought slayer was saying there was something about chatty in general that made the ice bad.
If chinook winds are scheduled to blow for a few days, don't go ice fishing.

IMO unless it gets cold soon local Ice season is probably done... saw a town and cherry crack. I wouldn't walk on it.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Icing at CHATTY is a done deal.
UNLESS, We get a severe, prolonged cold snap....
OR, Your'e crazy enough to try it..:tongue:
30 - 40 % open water as of Noon Yesterday..
No. ramp area has sketchy ice at best.
I wonder if They will open it for BOAT traffic soon? ;D

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Bring on the open water! I fished horsetooth on tuesday with spinning gear and the Poudre yesterday with my new Tenkara rod. River was up and there was some open areas to sweep flies thru. Accessing the shore at Horsetooth sucked. Steep frozen ground with a inch of thawed greasy mud. Shoulda brought my belly boat and just put in at the boat launch.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts